Drivetrain Picked Up A 04 Irs For My Fox, Have Some Questions.

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by bird_dog0347, Jul 11, 2013.

1. bird_dog0347

bird_dog0347 Active Member

So after almost a year of trying to get this project finished, I finally got it back on the ground on 4 wheels yesterday. It's not done, but I wanted to be sure the springs were cut to closely match the ride height in the front before I totally finish putting stuff back together. I haven't really worked on it a whole lot in the last year, life has gotten in the way, work... kids... etc.

But I really wanted to get this back up and running again and at least be able to take it out of the garage and wash the damn thing, LOL. I never did fully strip and paint everything, I didn't want it to snowball into a bigger effort than it already is. The things left to do are clean and re-install the fuel tank, install the rear sway bar, install the cat-back, put console back together after doing the e-brake handle mod, and put trunk trim back in. Then I'll still need to get new rear wheels before I can really drive it anywhere, it's still got the 18x10 FR500's in the back with a SN95 offset and stick out way too much. I'm going to buy a pair of 18x9 FR500's in a S197 offset to replace them and hope they fit. Then it just needs registration and inspection stickers to drive it again.

Some of the things I had to do to make it this far... I screwed up the front seal replacing the pinion flange so I had to replace that and the fluid. I got the bushings from Amazon installed in the subframe as well as the front and rear mount for the diff. Stainless brake lines, and FINALLY a working e-brake with new pads as the old setup never had a working e-brake. I had to cut the stock IRS springs for now and did 1 coil and it's pretty close to the ride height of the sportlines on the front. I had to buy a IRS catback and still need to install it. I also went ahead and put on a new fuel filter as it'll be a PITA to do it again once this is all buttoned up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Noobz347

Noobz347 Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor Admin Dude

Showcase:
    Albums:
    I haven't seen this thread until just now. I would LOVE to do this to my car.

Looking forward to what you have to say about it post-install.

3. mikestang63

mikestang63 Mustang Master

Showcase:
    Albums:
    I would relocate the fuel filter to a different position so that in the future it will be easier to service.

4. bird_dog0347

Yeah, it's been so long since I've driven it that I'm not sure I'll have a good comparison... but I do have a 2014 GT as well that is stock so maybe I can sorta compare it to that.

I thought about that, but in the mean time I'll just leave it alone until I eventually need a bigger fuel pump at which point I'll have to drop the tank anyways.

5. bird_dog0347

So today I got the fuel system cleaned up/ painted and reinstalled and was able to start the car to make sure it was on correctly. I got the Sway bar reinstalled with the exception of one of the end links needs to be replaced due to a stripped stud on it but I can get to that through the wheel well later. I got one of the mufflers put on loosely but the other one is going to have to go to the muffler shop to get one inch cut off the front flow tube and put on another inch on the rear as it doesn't fit with my current H-Pipe. It's too long to fit in the muffler spot and hits the IRS subframe... no biggie though.

[​IMG]

6. bird_dog0347

I got the muffler flow tube cut to fit and got the exhaust all done. I just need to order a new sway bar end link and replace that to get it drivable, and really I need to get new wheels for the rear first as well. It needs a bath bad, but that'll have to wait till later in the week I think. Also I need to do some work to hang the exhaust better on the passenger side as it's not exactly where I want it... a little too far to the inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. RacEoHolic330

RacEoHolic330 I like to dress like a pretty girl SN Certified Technician

Looks awesome! I'd say your driver side is too far outward, not the other way around. It took me quite a while to get the tailpipes exactly where I wanted them. I had to bend and adjust the hangers many many times.