Picking UP Cervinis Stormin Norman Hood Fri. (Jan. 2) Ram Air or NO?

As some of you may know, im picking up my Cervinis Stormin Norman Hood Friday (Jan.2)! I opted for the Ram Air Kit that comes w/ it for an extra $150! Im currently running an underhood big conical filter~ is it worth it to upgrade the hood w/ the ram air kit and pay the extra money for the ram air kit? I know it adds an airbox to the engine compartment which i do like being gone currently! Or would i be better off buying some other kind fenderwell kit, and just enjoying my new hood? Which would be better?
I havent paid for it yet, as i pay for it when i pick it up! But i have to confirm the order by Wed.!
Let me know what you guys think? Should i invest the money elsewhere?
C :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I have the stromin Normin hood along with the Ram Air...when my car was stock it did feel like I pick up some power...NOT the 25HP Cervinis claims. After I modded my car I now have a conical filter which is located almost right below the scoop so fresh air should get there. Personally I think you should get the Ram Air lining even if you don't run Ram Air simply due to the fact that without it all the crap can get to you engine compartment. The lining prevets that for the most part. Hope that helps.

My car used to be a daily driver and I never had any problems. I had to drive it rain a couple times this year on the way to shows (AHHHH!!) and noticed no rain inside.

Besides, figure how much rain is going to enter those little holes vs. how much is being kicked up from underneath. Even if rain did get in there, it'd make no diff that I can see.

If he wants to skip the ram air and is worried about rain, why not putty up the holes and paint them black? Or put some mesh liners? They come with the liners. I screwed up when putting mine in and had no way of salvaging it, so I left them off.

I don't know about that...My buddy ordered the stormin normin hood without the Ram Air and you could easily see his intake and the engine bay throught the holes...You're saying that water, snow, crap won't get in there? What about when you wash your car and what not? There are hoods that don't have the holes pre-cut but they are not Cervinis...besides it looks so much better with the holes cut out. As a safer side it is so worth it getting the Ram Air lining or a different hood on a daily driver. I have the same hood as you but with the lining and after it rains there is still a bit of water on part of my MAF...

I drove 7 hours to Pennsylvania for the NMRA Nationals last June, 5 of which (if not more) in the rain. Nothing inside showed any signs of getting wet.

I'm not saying water will NOT get in there, I'm saying it'll be in such trace amounts that it's barely worth considering.

As for washing, just don't spray the hose that way. Easy enough. I never have that problem, either. No matter what hood you get, you've got to watch out for spraying water in through the back of it, too.

All I can tell you is that:
a. i have a stormin norman hood with 100% open holes
b. in 3 years I have never seen a trace of water in the engine because of.

No I don't drive it every day anymore, but I DID for a year and half w/the same hood. Never a problem. Besides, now with my MAF in the fender, that really wouldn't be a problem.

Keep the wire boot on the wires and they'll be protected.

What's left that isn't exposed already because of the underside of the car being open?

Do the ram air system. Otherwise the vents are just for show, if you have the ram air system, it is for go and it just makes more sence to me. I just don't like fake vents. That's my opinion.

you shouldnt have to worry about the rain too much cause if you think about it when you are driving your motor and everything around it is extremely hot so i am pretty sure that when water hits it, it is going to evaporate prety fast

just my $.02

Come on guys am I missing something here? I'm looking at the hood in the magazine now and the ram air exits on the filter side of the car, no where near the engine. The air is channelled to the filter box or their ram air kit.

I see now problem with or without the filter box.

Just my $0.02

i have one of these hoods...mine came with aluminum grills for the holes..and i did drive the car in the rain and there was nothing inside, i figure as hot as the motor gets what ever tiny drops that might get on the intake will dry right away

and all you would have to do is cut up a pop can to the same shape as the grills paint them black and bolt them on behind the grills

here is a pic of the grills and what cturboaddict has to look forward to

newhood3.jpg

P.S. how much do you think it will cost to have the hood painted?? can the hood be taken off the car and taken some where or dose it have to be on the car to be "matched"...i ask cause i dont want anyone driving my car...see sig for reason :p

Attachments

• newhood3.jpg
    newhood3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 293
also...the hood also has holes/openings on the backside of the cowl for air to come in off the wind shield...so even if you had the ram air wouldnt you "think" water would be pushed in the back also?

I have the same hood and I didn't get the ram air package, I think it actually helps the engine run a little cooler with out it, my point, I was driving down I-95 in florida and my radiator hose blew, I smelled it and the temp rose just a little, but it always does that in 95* degree weather :nice: , anyways it wasn't until several miles down the road when I got off my exit,(air stopped moving in the engine compartment) and the temp sky rocketed. I shut down, and luckily there was no damage to my heads or anything, Now had it been 3 days earlier and I didn't have my hood on yet I think I would have been screwed...

Oh and in florida where at times it rains buckets, I've never had a problem with water under the hood...

That's my story and I'm stickin to it!!!!

The only advantage to the ram air kit is that it will help eliminate moisture getting into your engine bay. It's not going to gain you a 25 hp as cervini's claim. At idle your still getting the same amount of air than stock. You would have to be traveling pretty darn fast for it to even be worth considering and yet, what good is 3 hp at 90mph? I would skip it and go go with another aftermarket part that will actually gain you some horsepower and be to your advantage in the long run when you really start modifying your car! Just my .02