(pics inside)Found 2 cracks on my block, will these affect anything?

• Sponsors (?)

Yuck but if this is the only problem any good shop should be able to braze that up and it'll be ok. You don't want to weld it cause the cast iron will crack more but if you can remove the chunk, bevel the edges of both pieces so you get 100% penetration and braze it or a guy with a TIG welder and some silicon bronze rod will do about the same thing and keeps it cold enough that the cast iron won't crack. A lifetime around metal fab gets you a few tricks :)

i can see a white/gray substance below,beside and above where the crack is visable where it looks as if moisture from the coolant passage was entering the timing chain housing...i would never trust this block... or put any of my hard earned money into it,it would be taking too much of a chance you can see the visable crack but how far does it go into the block, cracks are not always visable and weak spots are not visable all the time either....

I wouldn't do it... Not for a new engine... If you saw this whild doing H/C/I and it was a stock bottom end that is different... I wouldn't put any $$ into a questionable block regardless of how superficial the damage seems...

I would get a different block with out any damage to it for any new motor. Someone could fix that crack but like said it is a weak point. Look in a boneyard for a 302 roller there are a lot of them or you could splurge and get a new block, but I personally like a seasoned block cleaned and machined. I'm building a 331 stroker for my stang and you would be surprised how beautiful the 100,000 mile block I found cleaned up from my machinist. Good luck!

Thanx for the info guys, I think Im just gunna dump this block then instead of taking any chances. Anyways since Ill need to get a new block I think Im going to go with a 351 and stroke it to 408 or 427, Iv seen 351 blocks for near the same price as the 302's and the stroker kits run about the same. This way I can build an n/a combo with the 351 were as I was goin to put a blower on the 302