Pics of EGR delete

• Sponsors (?)

Homemade block off plate and used a 22mm dodge Ram 5.9 oil pan plug from Autozone to plug the manifold , removing the EGR tube and adapter was just silly silly hard , took me around 2 hours to get them off , some said getting the adapter out of the manifold was impossible , but it can be done !

46f.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an EGR and why would you want to delete it?

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Spent, inert exhaust gasses are routed back into the intake to lower combustion temperatures and reduce pumping losses in part-throttle conditions. It reduces NOx emissions and increases cruising MPG and it's disabled at full throttle so I'm not sure what the point of disabling it is beyond one less tube to look at under the hood and a few onces of weight saved. I guess because it got a bad rap in the dark ages of emissions equipment in the 70's & 80's but in a modern engine, it's a net benefit and it's not robbing any horsepower.

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Spent, inert exhaust gasses are routed back into the intake to lower combustion temperatures and reduce pumping losses in part-throttle conditions. It reduces NOx emissions and increases cruising MPG and it's disabled at full throttle so I'm not sure what the point of disabling it is beyond one less tube to look at under the hood and a few onces of weight saved. I guess because it got a bad rap in the dark ages of emissions equipment in the 70's & 80's but in a modern engine, it's a net benefit and it's not robbing any horsepower.

Wouldn't it increase combustion temps while cruising? Not that it's enough to worry about, but it should increase temps while cruising and help the care warm up.

Wouldn't it increase combustion temps while cruising? Not that it's enough to worry about, but it should increase temps while cruising and help the care warm up.

At first glance, that's what you'd think, but while it raises the temp of the intake charge, it diffuses the combustion gases and lowers the peak temperatures in the combustion chamber.

Homemade block off plate and used a 22mm dodge Ram 5.9 oil pan plug from Autozone to plug the manifold , removing the EGR tube and adapter was just silly silly hard , took me around 2 hours to get them off , some said getting the adapter out of the manifold was impossible , but it can be done !

46f.jpg

wow! that engine bay looks extremely clean and simplified, how did you manage that so well?