Pics of MAC Plenum

inferno9898

May 17, 2003
Plenum problem (see bottom of thread)

Not much is said about the MAC Plenum. I just got mine in today, there are some pics on page 3 of my car domain page in my sig. I'm putting it on tonight or tomorrow, so ill post a review. I'm not expecting much, my SOTP meter isnt very sensitive

• Sponsors (?)

The reason why you're not getting much feedback is because most people aren't running the Mac plenum. There are multiple reasons for this. One, most are interested in buying the Accufab piece, as on the dyno runs done by Matt at Modular Depot, it out performed the other intake plenums by a slight margin. Two, Mac performance is not a well-known company in terms of quality. That applies to both their products, and especially their customer service team.

This is a little off topic but I will not lie, I have an entire Mac performance exhuast setup and I like it. The performance is great and the price matches. However, after dealing with Mac performance as of late, their customer service department leaves a lot to be desired. Simply for this, I will not purchase anything else from Mac in the future.

Anyhow, be sure to let us know your results with the plenum. I'm sure all will appreciate the feedback.:nice:

i knew why there weren't many people running the setup, but at the same time. the MAC piece was not released when the MD report was made, so the majority of people buying plenums probably don't even know that MAC makes a piece. anyway, I don't have enough money to spend the same amount on an accufab plenum as i can spend on a mac plenum + 70mm TB, so i figured i might as well.

inferno9898 said:
i knew why there weren't many people running the setup, but at the same time. the MAC piece was not released when the MD report was made, so the majority of people buying plenums probably don't even know that MAC makes a piece. anyway, I don't have enough money to spend the same amount on an accufab plenum as i can spend on a mac plenum + 70mm TB, so i figured i might as well.
You are correct. Mac did not have a production plenum on the market when the testing at Modular Depot was being performed. It came out sometime later. As for you not having the money to afford the Accufab piece, I understand totally. Buying performance parts can become rather expensive and so we all try to cut our costs and spending to save money here and there. However, we must also be aware of an old saying, which has proven itself to be true over and over again in the aftermarket world. "You get what you pay for".

i have the trueflow and it looks to be exactly the same. i have a verry good power gain from the trueflow, so i think u will be good. the only thing i would say is if you get some high temp paint to match your car , prime it and paint it for a custom look. :nice:

jrc_03_gt said:
Im getting the accufab plenum/T.B. combo I just dont know what size T.B. to get 70mm or 75mm ???
This is a question that has been asked so much, it reminds me of the "3.73 vs 4.10" debate. Do a search and you'll come up with the answers you are looking for. 70mm tb = better low end torque 75mm tb = slightly better gain on top end. Basically, there is little difference between the two so the choice is yours. If you are planning on going boosted in the future, then go for the 75mm now and save yourself the time.

Redfire03GT said:
Uh, it might be just me but, honestly, that MAC plenum looks exactly like a C&L plenum but a lot less... clean. and w/o any C&L logo's. Someone should post side-by-sides.
If what you're looking for is a cheap plenum with a clean look, the one from Grantelli motorsports is probably the best of that type. Its on sale for 99.99 at Jegs performance. It also looks like the C&L plenum.

Redfire03GT said:
Uh, it might be just me but, honestly, that MAC plenum looks exactly like a C&L plenum but a lot less... clean. and w/o any C&L logo's. Someone should post side-by-sides.

C&L
newplenum2.jpg

MAC
620302_18.jpg

i couldnt find any good inside shots of the C&L, so dont even ask

inferno9898 said:
definitely didnt buy it for looks....cant imagine it performing that much worse than c&l or trickflow...they're all so similar

After seeing the inside of ththe MAC plenum, how can you say that?

You'd have to spend about an hour cleaning up that ugly thing to get it anywhere near the others.

What did the MAC run you?

The others are onyl about $150 so I can't see any reason to get the MAC unless it's on clearance for $49 or something.

007 said:
I have the BBK (no-one else is running that either). Its a real nice looking piece.
My brother has the BBK Plenum. He's not running it yet as I'm going to install an oil seperator with it. Not to mention I'm cleaning out the plenum as well and polishing it to a nice, smooth finish. I'll try to take some pics once I'm finished with it.

alright fine, you all win......i installed it and the idle is very rough. hangs at about 1500, before dropping down to about 1000. even staying at 1000, it sounds terrible and is very rough. before everyone says something about the TPS, i installed the throttle body last week, and it worked great. i didn't touch the tps at all when i put on the plenum, just transfered the TB over. any other ideas as to why it could be doing this?

inferno9898 said:
alright fine, you all win......i installed it and the idle is very rough. hangs at about 1500, before dropping down to about 1000. even staying at 1000, it sounds terrible and is very rough. before everyone says something about the TPS, i installed the throttle body last week, and it worked great. i didn't touch the tps at all when i put on the plenum, just transfered the TB over. any other ideas as to why it could be doing this?

A leak. IAC?