Picture request please - 5-lug conversion using 96+ spindles and SN95 rear axles

• Sponsors (?)

I have the 96+ spindles on the front of my 81 notchback that has 91 LCA's (sames length as 81) and stock 17X8 wheels. I hung the fender on it, and it is still inside the fender. That is a with a 30mm offset. I want to get the Pony R wheels in a 17X8 5 lug for the front, but they carry the stock fox 23.8mm offset. This means from where my wheel is now it will be moved out 6.2mm. I am a little concerned over this, I will have to look at it all again before I order them. If they stick out too far, I will prolly change them to the 94-95 spindles.

96+ spindles

I'm also running 01 spindles with the PBR calipers and a 2" drop in the front. I have a rubbing issue, but I don' t know the backspacing on my wheels. 17x7 american racing torque lites in the front w/ a 235/45/17 tire

Here's the pics I mentioned I'd take today. ACtually I think the factory 17x8 bullitt wheels are 27mm offset. Adain we're talkin' a couple mils but either way they fit very well. Here's some up close pics that really help illustrate this.

BTW, I test fit a 17x9 Cobra wheel out back today and it fit awesome. The backspacing is 6.125" (6 1/8") and if the backspacing is the same on the 17x9 bullitts I'm going to look at saturday I'll be getting 2 for the rear and mounting up some 275/40/17s on 'em. Then the wheels and tires will fill up the rear to match the look up front.

507995568.jpg

John

Attachments

• 507995568.jpg
    507995568.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 146
i also have 1996+ spindles and a 95 GT rear end. i am running waffle pony's right now (hate them) and would like yo know the widest tire rim combo i can put under the rear of it. im deffinatly subscribing to this thread.

A while back i brought up the idea of buying aftermarket 17x9 wheels for an S197 Mustang and trying to fit them on the rear of a Fox with Sn95 offset disks.

In fact, i'm rather curious as to how S197 17x9s would fit on all 4 corners with the 96+ spindles up front.

5L5 and BK---Just picture the wheels sitting inward on the pic above +20mm. That is a lot! The wheels will also jump from 6.125" backspacing to 6.73..well 6.75 we'll call it. I would then worry about rubbing. We increase it 13-14mm, then bring the wheel back 20. So we are still inwards of 6-7mm from stock. I thought of this swap for my 81, but my 91 with 94-95 spindles and 245's on 17X8's rub on my K-frame with a full lock on the wheel. This would be interesting!! I am getting anxious to get to that point on the 81, but I am waiting til it's painted. It's either stock 17X8's or Pony R's or S197's.

i also have 1996+ spindles and a 95 GT rear end. i am running waffle pony's right now (hate them) and would like yo know the widest tire rim combo i can put under the rear of it. im deffinatly subscribing to this thread.

I put this same post of on Corral talk and this guy posted a few pics of his stang,

In this pics he's running 17x9 Cobra R wheels with a 24mm offset on all 4 with 96+ spindles and SN95 lenght axles.
OurAutosOctober1st2005023_2-1.jpg

This is a side profile pic of the rear of the same specs as above except Saleen wheels
saleen006.jpg

Attachments

• OurAutosOctober1st2005023_2-1.jpg
    OurAutosOctober1st2005023_2-1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 141
  • saleen006.jpg
    saleen006.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 145
One more question for you guys:

I posted this because I am doing the 5 lug conversion right now myself, but I also have an eBay business and sell junk yard 5 lug conversions on eBay. I constantly get people telling me "it is impossible to run 96+ spindles and SN axles without rubbing or tires sticking out like mexican ride" and I can never convince them otherwise when I know it's possible to work around. That said, Would you mind if you used the pics of your cars in some of my eBay auctions?

I am in the process of doing the conversion, right now (front only). I was able to get a set of 98 spindles for only $60 for the pair!! A well known Mustang salvage yard wanted $150 per side! I actually wanted the 96-98 spindles, since they add the 8mm (or 13 whatever). The wheels I am using only have a +20 offset, and you really need +25 or +24, so if my math is correct, I will only be +6mm in track width? Or +16, if you are starting with Fox body measurements? I will let you know how it turns out, and provide pics, but it will probably be quite a while.

I'm actually thinking of trading my 94-95 spindles for some 96-04 spindles down the road if i ever change the k-member. I like the better geometry and i'm really interested in running S197 wheels on the car.

Don't PM asking for the spindles. They are installed on the car and not coming off anytime soon

Hey Woodrow - Bad a$$ notch - wheels look awesome on that car! I also liked seeing that pic of the notch in the Nitto ad! Nice!

Caseywan, I'd be willing to send you all the high resolution pics you want of my 88 GT using the 96+ spindles, and 17x8 bullitts with the 5.62" B.S. These are the FACTORY OEM Bullitts which I think pretty much share the same exact B.S. and offset as many of the other 17x8 OEM factory wheels from 1994-2004. I just did a picture shoot on the car at many angles this past Friday on my way home from work at a neat location. Will post pics monday. These guys are crazy that don't think those spindles don't work!!! I love 'em! I know guys are trying to put the 9" wide wheels up front on these fox cars but you still can't run more than a 245 width up front without some major modifications and even then i don't know. I think an 8" wide wheel is plenty on a fox with a 245. Just my 2 cents.

John

I am bringing this thread back. This morning I put all my wheels possiblilities to an end. I brought in my 17X9 Cobra R wheels from my Cobra. I one on the rear of my notch with the 2001 rear end. With a 275 Nitto Drag, the tires edge sticks out from the fender about 1 inch. It actaully doesn't look too bad. I put the same tire and wheel on the front. I hung a fender. Neither the wheel or the fender was bolted down, but while eyeballing it, it looks as if it will stick out a hair.

I don't know how much, because you know when a car is jacked up in the air, then let it down, how the wheels look like they are angled, then when you drive it, they level out? Well, I assume they will be dead even, but it is hard to tell. I will get pics up tomorrow, I brought the camera, but forgot my USB cable!!!

I'm having a problem w/ this crap right now. I'm convinced its my ride height, but I'm not sure. After looking at the pics of the different spindles, I now realize that I have 96+ spindles...so thats 14mm extra. I'm running 17x8 '99 Cobra wheels (not sure what offset those have) w/ 245/45s on all 4 corners. The FMS C Springs I have are sitting to low in the front and the tire is ON the fender. Any bump, turn, brake, all it does is grind the fender. I put new urethane isolators in this past weekend and it made no difference. I'm actually considering coil-overs so I can raise the ride height. ugh.

I am bringing this thread back. This morning I put all my wheels possiblilities to an end. I brought in my 17X9 Cobra R wheels from my Cobra. I one on the rear of my notch with the 2001 rear end. With a 275 Nitto Drag, the tires edge sticks out from the fender about 1 inch. It actaully doesn't look too bad. I put the same tire and wheel on the front. I hung a fender. Neither the wheel or the fender was bolted down, but while eyeballing it, it looks as if it will stick out a hair.

I don't know how much, because you know when a car is jacked up in the air, then let it down, how the wheels look like they are angled, then when you drive it, they level out? Well, I assume they will be dead even, but it is hard to tell. I will get pics up tomorrow, I brought the camera, but forgot my USB cable!!!

You have an entire 2001 rear end?

Unsure if you are aware of it, but the 1999-2004 8.8 housings are longer than the 86-98 housings. As a result, the wheels offset is almost 1.25" EACH side more than the fox offset. 3/4" of it is due to the SN95 brakes but the remaining 3/4" is due to the increase in housing.

If you got an 86-98 housing and used 94-98 SN95 axles, you would pull your wheels back in 0.75"