Picture request please - 5-lug conversion using 96+ spindles and SN95 rear axles

Small thread resurrection. I have a quick question. The wheels I am going to be putting on have a +15 offset. I am using 98 SN95 spindles, which add +13 in offset, correct? So essentially I will be around +4mm in offset, from the standard Fox offset of 23.8mm ? I am having trouble with the basic understanding of 'offset' so is this correct?

Positive offset, built into the wheel itself, moves the wheel inward, towards the strut/engine side.

Positive offset, 'gained' when changing spindles, (fox to SN95) moves the wheel outward, towards the fender lip.

So by running a wheel with +15 and adding +13 from the spindle I will be at +28 of offset, and +4mm (increased towards the fenderwell) from the standard Fox offset?

Thanks for your help! :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

You have an entire 2001 rear end?

Unsure if you are aware of it, but the 1999-2004 8.8 housings are longer than the 86-98 housings. As a result, the wheels offset is almost 1.25" EACH side more than the fox offset. 3/4" of it is due to the SN95 brakes but the remaining 3/4" is due to the increase in housing.

If you got an 86-98 housing and used 94-98 SN95 axles, you would pull your wheels back in 0.75"

Yes, I have the entire rear axle. I used everything from the 2001, ABS unit, lines, sensors etc. I also had new bearings, seals, clutches, and gears put in the 2001 axle before I installed it. They also straightened the tubes and weldee them. I sunk a little bit of money in it, so I am keeping it. At the time....I didn't have any 8.8's from a 94-98 Mustang in the yard. Now....I have bought two 95GT's since then....:mad: I thought of swapping them, but I already have 3.73's and all the other stuff I listed. I think I will compensate with the larger offset wheels. We will see how it goes. I just want to get the car done right now. I can always change it later, but I dread swapping axles with aftermarket control arms.:notnice:

05+ wheels with +45mm offset with 96-04 spindles. They still have the 235-55's on them though, so 245-45's will be look better, just look where the wheel lip sits. Don't pay attention to my rears. I have the entire 2001 rear end in my car with 17X9 +45mm offset Bullits. They are dead even with the quarter edge, and if I used 94-98 axles, the wheels would sit inward 3/4".

DSC04292.jpg

DSC04291.jpg

DSC04293.jpg

Now here is 17X8 +30mm offset and 96-04 spindles. They do not stick out.

DSC04541.jpg

DSC04540.jpg

17X9's, +24mm offset with 96-04 spindles the wheels will stick out the front fenders about 1/2".

17X9's, +26mm offset with 96-04 spindles the wheels will still stick out the fenders, but will stick out 2mm less than 17X9's with the +24mm offset. They will still clear the strut.

This combo would also probably hit the struts with 94-95 spindles, because they will bring the wheel 8-10mm closer to the strut. Spacers are always an option, but I don't like them.

Smaller tire? For what wheels? You can run a standard 245-45 on either style wheel with 96+ spindles. Neither offset 17X8 will stick out.

My bad for not explaining, the main reason why I also wanted to run a smaller tire (overall diameter wise) was because I am also going to go with the steeda X2 ball joints and in the instructions it said that it will lower it another 1/2 inch just with the ball joints. With the stang sitting lower than it already is I was thinking that it could have a little rubbing issue with it being lower and with the tire right ON or close to the edge of the fender.

Okay, no problem. A 235-45-17 will give you just a touch of extra clearance and it will still look good on an 8 inch wheel. The last V6 Mustang I bought had 17X8 Bullits and 235's...I couldn't even tell untill I actually got down and looked for the sizes.