Picturs of 18" wheels on a 65/66?

• Sponsors (?)

I appologize for replying when I don't have any pictures to offer; but I hope you don't mind a comment on those large rims on early Mustangs. I have noticed that the large dia wheel/low profile tire combination on an early Mustang gives the general appearance of the old narrow band, high profile whitewall tires that came on these cars. When I bought a new 1965 GT, I took off those 695/14 whitewalls within a couple of weeks and installed dual redlines. Everytime I see those low-profile ties mounted on large rims, particularly chrome/aluminum ones, it just looks like the old stang is wearing whitewall tires. I suppose my dislike of whitewalls on a performance car clouds my perception a little.

bifs66 said:
I appologize for replying when I don't have any pictures to offer; but I hope you don't mind a comment on those large rims on early Mustangs. I have noticed that the large dia wheel/low profile tire combination on an early Mustang gives the general appearance of the old narrow band, high profile whitewall tires that came on these cars. When I bought a new 1965 GT, I took off those 695/14 whitewalls within a couple of weeks and installed dual redlines. Everytime I see those low-profile ties mounted on large rims, particularly chrome/aluminum ones, it just looks like the old stang is wearing whitewall tires. I suppose my dislike of whitewalls on a performance car clouds my perception a little.
Huh??? I don't get it.

65shlbycln said:
You'll find that 17in wheels are tight on 65-66 cars. Im not sure if you can even fit 18's without some sort of modification to the fenders or wheelwell.

well, it really doesnt have much to do with the rim size as it does with the overall diameter of the tire. you achieve this by going with a smaller profile tire, such as a 35 as oposed to the popular 45 with 17's. whether or not this results in the same diameter i dont know. i just figured with the right tire combo the overall diameter could be the same, no?

jusinbailey said:
well, it really doesnt have much to do with the rim size as it does with the overall diameter of the tire. you achieve this by going with a smaller profile tire, such as a 35 as oposed to the popular 45 with 17's. whether or not this results in the same diameter i dont know. i just figured with the right tire combo the overall diameter could be the same, no?

You are correct. There are some entries on my wheel charts for 18s....I personally haven't seen a mustang with 18s though...I love my seventeens...but given that the ride gets stiffer and stiffer the smaller the sidewall....I think going past 17 might result in a ride degradation even too far for me to like :)

jusinbailey said:

I know this. did you think that i wouldnt take in consideration that there would actually be a tire on the rim? i dont think you can fit 18s and the tire that goes with it. Ive never seen it done.

66P51GT said:
Huh??? I don't get it.

I guess I wasn't very clear with my reply. I was trying to convey the notion that the visual appearance of an early Mustang with these large dia rims is similar to the visual appearance of one dressed in whitewalls. Perhaps, I'm alone in this impression. To me, this impression is created by the effect of the large rim being about the same dia as that of the whitlewall section of the whitewall tire. Likewise, the low profile rubber tire visually approximates the look of the outer black rubber part of the whitewall tire. The overall appearance is a similar look between the two. Personally, I just think that the vintage cars look "better" with rims in the 15"/16" size with around 60 series rubber. Of course, this may be an older persons viewpoint (grew up with F70/14s).

after viewing a buttload of 65/66's with 17's on the net i'd have to say that the 17inch wheel is more than enough for my likings. i actually think 18s might look a little overkill/bling bling for my taste. thanks anyways tho!