Pilot Bearing Removal

Tim65GT

Feb 24, 2004
West Texas
I'm installing an AOD with a 5.0
It's a Ford Racing Crate engine and came with a flywheel and pilot bearing.
It has to come out in order for the Torque converter snout to go in , right?
I got the bearing out with a slide hammer, But it's only about 3/4" in diameter.
Do I continue in the same manner to get the other part out?

DSC08367.jpg

DSC08368.jpg

Thanx

Attachments

• DSC08367.jpg
    DSC08367.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC08368.jpg
    DSC08368.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Sponsors (?)

I've never had very good luck with a slide hammer, but what has worked great for me is cutting up a bar of soap and cramming the pieces in there, and then using the largest bolt that will fit as a drift with a big hammer. Once you fill the cavity with soap, you will force the bearing out with hydraulic pressure.

I've never had very good luck with a slide hammer, but what has worked great for me is cutting up a bar of soap and cramming the pieces in there, and then using the largest bolt that will fit as a drift with a big hammer. Once you fill the cavity with soap, you will force the bearing out with hydraulic pressure.

awesome idea

It works, I did it with grease. I actually cut up an old clutch centering tool that came with previous clutch and used that to hammer in. Bearing popped right out. Not only does it use hydraulic pressure, the grease gets into any cavity it can and allows it to pop out easier. Wheel bearing grease works good

I have used the soap method and the grease method, and I have to say I like the soap method much better. It is far less messy and seemed to actually work better for me. Just make sure you scrape all the soap out of there ones it comes out.

I agree with Hack, I've never got one out with the slide hammer. THanks for the picture cause I would not have believed it otherwise! First one I have ever seen come out with that thing.
Come on, tell the truth, you greased it up then put it on the slide hammer for the picture :)

Haha, I bought a slide hammer specifically made for pulling the bearing and gave it days worth of my best effort.

The soap is way better. :)

Again, I don't use the slide hammer method. I use a puller tool made for this. Works every time and no mess to clean up. Unless someone installs the thing backwards....

My point is that if I have a choice I'd WAY rather use the correct puller. The soap/grease method is still important for situations where the proper tool wont work or isn't available.

I attached the small 2 jaws with speader cone from my puller kit and popped it out after a few wacks with the slide hammer. :nice:

DSC08369.jpg

I would say after looking at your picture that the spreader cone is the part of the kit that made the tool work successfully. The slide hammer I got did not have the spreader cone and the jaws did not hold strongly enough to pull the bearing.

Very helpful photo! :nice:

Attachments

• DSC08369.jpg
    DSC08369.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 79
Im surprised to see so many people have had a problem with a pilot bearing puller. I always rent them from Autozone and never had a problem

I have rented a tool a couple times, but there is never enough lip on the tool to get the darn bushing out.

I just use the grease method, a socket and extension. pop it with a hammer and done...

I would rather wipe off a little grease than drive to the store, rent a tool, and then bring it back, then back to the store... Then back home, hell I just spent $10 in gas right there!

LOL!

BarnStang
I agree with Hack, I've never got one out with the slide hammer. THanks for the picture cause I would not have believed it otherwise! First one I have ever seen come out with that thing.
Come on, tell the truth, you greased it up then put it on the slide hammer for the picture

Hack
I would say after looking at your picture that the spreader cone is the part of the kit that made the tool work successfully. The slide hammer I got did not have the spreader cone and the jaws did not hold strongly enough to pull the bearing.

lol. No, it did come out with the slide hammer, and I'm sure it wouldn't have without the sprader cone. Otherwise there would be no way to keep the jaws seated in the grooves. And that's another thing, if the jaws are too wide, they wont seat in the grooves and it would never have worked.

I was going to rig up some kind of saddle like shown in the picture of the ebay link Rusty posted, but I thought I'd give it a try with the slide Hammer since I had it out.

Thanks again for the input! :SNSign: