PIP malfunction question

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
Philly
Hey Guys
I'm trying to trace down a recurring issue with my car.
I'm not sure if the two are related but I would hope so.
The tach completely fluctuates, it seems that the higher the RPM the more wild it gets. It used to just sort of tick, now on the highway I can't really explain it, but its just all over the place wobbling, probably 300rpms of play.

The other part of the problem is a misfire that has gotten progressively worse. It used to happen very occasionally, while I was crusing probably at 2000rpms in 3rd gear. Now its horrible, I can't drive the car without it. I hear it skip WOT, and it's killing the car's power.

Is it possible that the distributor, more specifically the PIP sensor could be causing both of these issues. I understand the PIP relays the engine speed to the tach, correct?

I really really want to buy a reman distributor and throw it in, solving everything.

Anybody have any input?
Thanks guys
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

I really really want to buy a reman distributor and throw it in, solving everything.

Have you checked the plug wires at night to see if you've got a bad plug wire? You'll hear a sharp little pop and see the spark when it grounds out.

Also check into the coil as well - those can gradually go bad and it is most noticeable at higher RPMs.

Lastly (this could be a long shot) but fouled plugs and/or incorrectly gapped plugs could also have the same symptoms.

My experience w/ the two PIP problems I have personally run into is that usually when they go out they just quit working - most usually when they get hot. Sort of an on/off type thing. This is why I mention the plug wires, the coil and plugs.

Good luck - keep us posted man!

Wes

Joe, I like Wes's thoughts about the coil if your issue really is RPM dependant. If you have a spare, toss it on there. If not, the Wells brand of coils have done well for folks (parts store: 15 bucks).

I think I mentioned before that I like to douche PIP's with electrical contact cleaner. If the issue abates for a bit afterwards, that can be telling. I have had a PIP cause a random 'studder' without actually failing. I attributed it to the edge of a shudder perhaps being dirty.

If it seems to get worse with heat, it could be the TFI starting to take a crap. WHen something is in the early stages of chitting its pants, it can be hard to narrow things down.

I don't suppose you have any codes, huh? PIP, TFI and IDM codes would be of special interest.

Good luck bud.

It's fixed!!!
I picked up a coil and a plug today, the only plug that was never replaced #8. Last time I changed the plugs I called it a night before I changed #8 and never got around to it :bang: but I don't know if it was the plug or the coil.

I just have one question:
How can a misfire cause such a ridiculous tach?

IM SO HAPPY!