Pip replacement/distributor ??????

Bosko5.0

May 18, 2006
longwood, FL
I helped replace my brothers pip sensor in his car a month ago. we had a hard time getting the dist shaft out because it had old oil or grease baked on it, we used pb blaster and brake cleaner to get it off. We greased the distributor shaft put it back in, spun easily. now a month later it's binding and squeeking:shrug: Did i not do it right ?? was I suppose to fill it with oil.

On a side note i replaced mine 3 days ago and the seal on the bottom of the distributor got ripped off while I was cleaning it, Do I need it???

• Sponsors (?)

I never could understand why the squeaking thing happens. It's hit or miss. I've been able to successfully resurface the bearing and shaft and have it last until I sold the car. Other times it would squeak withing months!

Now I just opt to buy the brand new distributors instead of rebuilt ones or rebuilding mine.

That bottom seal keeps oil from making it's way up into the electronics. It is more of a splash seal than anything. I say run it and check it out from time to time.

My guess is the pb blaster and/or the brake cleaner ruins/removes something

Yeah, this sounds more like it. I'll be there is some kind of very high heat resistant lube that goes on the shaft (minds out of the gutter please!). Regular bearing grease probably just vaporized or "coked" like turbo bearings do.

And maybe that seal at the bottom is responsible for keeping that lube inside the distributor more than it keeps motor oil out? :shrug:

Yeah, this sounds more like it. I'll be there is some kind of very high heat resistant lube that goes on the shaft (minds out of the gutter please!). Regular bearing grease probably just vaporized or "coked" like turbo bearings do.

And maybe that seal at the bottom is responsible for keeping that lube inside the distributor more than it keeps motor oil out? :shrug:

Definitely could be. I know when I was younger I destroyed a few of my gas powered scooter bearings by spraying them with wd40, which pretty much removed all of the bearing grease and began letting fine particles in.

Sorry for taking so long to respond, haven't had any time working two jobs 7 days a week.

Both mine and his were dying at idle at stop lights. Mine didn't throw a code but his did.
I believe the seal is to keep the crank case gases from getting into the distributor.

Well it turns out he used some old white lithuim grease.
well it went from bad to worse. He pulled the distributor and forgot to mark where the rotor was, so we put #1 at TDC ended up being on the exhuast stroke it fired right away with a backfire throught the intake, now he has a metal clunking noise.

Iam assuming it was directly at tdc and it broke a rod bolt.:( Luckly he has another mustang thats totaled with a good engine,only problem I work all the time and he works 5 days with college.