piston rings, determine top from bottom

I was going to start putting my engine back together today, but when I opend the box of piston rings I noticed 2 different types (not counting the oil one's). The instructions told me which direction they go but not which one is the top and which is the bottom. One set of rings is dark in color and the other is light. I'd almost assume that the dark one is a cast and the light is a steel, but I could be way off.

Also, I recall being told that it's best to lube the piston walls before you insert the piston to make insertion easier...is this a common practice?

I'm assuming I'd want to use regular motor oil and not my bearing lube.

Oh, this is a turbo block, if that makes any difference.

• Sponsors (?)

What brand are they? If they are federal mogual or speed pro, the top ring has a dot in it, and the bottom has 'top' written on it. Also, the bottom ring has a bevel. Look at the cross section to determine if the ring is square or bevelled.
When you install the pistons/rings, use plenty of oil. The rings are the last thing to see oil when the engine is started because it relies on squirters in the rod slapping oil in the walls. Some say carbon buildup will occur, but this has not been my experience.

Look at the little tabs inside the box of Hasting's rings. They tell you which ring is top compression and which ring is second compression. They're the little red tabs on either side of the box when you open them for the first time. IIRC they put a paint dab on the beveled ring to indicate "this side up" The other ring doesn't care which end is up.