piston to valve clearance

neverdone

Sep 27, 2009
I'm looking for a cam for a 302 I'm building and I was wondering what the biggest cam I can use with a stock 302 bottom end from a fox mustang. I am trying the procomp 210cc heads and I was just wondering about the piston to valve clearance with 1.7 rockers. I have a 302 cam at home where the lift maxes out at .500 but I'd like to go bigger if at all possible.

• Sponsors (?)

Posted via Mobile Device

Total lift has almost nothing to do with Piston to Valve clearance. At max lift, the piston is half way down the bore, and traveling away from the valve. The valve events(opening and closing events of the lobe) have more of impact than total lift. For most inline valve placement heads, anything over a 1.90 intake valve, you'll probably have to fly cut the pistons to accommodate the larger valve size. Depending on how the cam is setup. That's the problem with stock pistons, as it will sometimes limit the cam selection. Cam selecting really should be left to the pros. Specially when using a large valve like a 2.02 intake valve. Regardless, your gonna have to physically your self check the Piston To Valve clearance. No matter what cam you choose. Majority of guys on any forum, aren't qualified to give accurate cam suggestions.