Places to buy random hardware

Snikt89GT

Sep 6, 2006
Deland, Florida
Where do you guys buy random hardware that you need for the car? It seems like i'm constantly having to buy some kind of bolt or nut. I need 2 of the nuts that go on top of the strut now and the ford part's desk doesn't even sell it.

They only sell the strut mount/boot/nut as a kit and it's like 70$ each.

I've purchased a few things for my 5-lug stuff from Breeze Automotive, but they don't have these.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Lowe's, Home depot, Ace Hardware, thers a place here in winter park area called Skycraft I think, Jrichker sent me there, place is INSANE, its like a flea market for hardware. As long as you know the size you need you shouldnt have a problem.

Check out the places that mob listed and also check your local hardware store. I have an Ace down the street from me and if I need actual hardware that is where I go. They usually have oddball stuff that Lowes, HD and the other big box stores won't or don't carry.

Yeah i've been to Skycraft a few times, that place is crazy. Right off the fairbanks exit.

I guess my hardware game is pretty weak, how do you know the size, pitch, grade, etc.. that it's supposed to be? For example the strut nut?

Just gotta try and do some research. Ask people on stangnet, see if you can call a company that sells that kit and see if they can find out what size bolt comes in the kit, and once you know you go buy the nut. Ive had that problem a few times, and asked stangnet, most of the time they know what size the bolt is, just go out and get it.

Heres some of the times stangnet has helped me out. Theres been some other things like sway bar mount bolts, upper control arm bolts.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=670127

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=659166

I'll give that a shot, Jrichker probably knows off the top of his head exactly what size it is.

This is a pain with just a small project to find the hardware, can't imagine what it would be like to restore/build a classic or something from scratch.

They sell gauges that help you determine what pitch and size a bolt or nut is. I have several and use them often.

The tough part is finding grade 8 hardware. Home depot only goes to Grade 5/8.8. It's tough finding grade 8/10.9 hardware.

They sell gauges that help you determine what pitch and size a bolt or nut is. I have several and use them often.

The tough part is finding grade 8 hardware. Home depot only goes to Grade 5/8.8. It's tough finding grade 8/10.9 hardware.

Just a reminder to everyone, make sure you get Grade 8/10.9 for Important areas on your car, Grade 5s dont cut it and you could end up in a serious accident!