Plan your work, work your plan

BigmacK192

Apr 8, 2009
Chicago.
So I'm finally digging into the work I've been planning on the Fox. Here's what I am going to try to get done:

Swap lower intake gasket, valve cover gaskets, and oil pan gasket, swap rear main seal, fresh trans fluid and a new short throw, radiator flush and proper cleaning, checking the thermostat, fuel filter swap, fix some interior bits, and then give it an oil change and thorough clean up (under the hood and inside).

I've been planning this for a while and I have a lot sitting in the garage waiting for me. I just want to ask you guys what you'd get for these jobs. If I haven't hit it all, I'd like to know. I want this to go as smoothly as possible. I'm famous for having to make like 3 or 4 parts store runs in a day.

Here's what I've ordered:
Steeda Tri-ax shifter, new radiator hoses (upper and lower), new speedometer gear (to hopefully fix that annoyance), on rail fuel pressure gauge, fuel filter, clutch alignment tool, radiator flush, rear main seal, intake gaskets (I already have a few left over for the upper plenum, as well as a set of valve cover gaskets and the oil pan one), 3 quarts of ATF, and that stupid $100 rear main seal installer tool (because I don't want to do it wrong). Also got some badges, new interior door handles, and that wonderful ashtray repair kit. I want it to all go in, starting this weekend.

Here's what I'm going to pick up: wood blocks (for raising and supporting the engine when I dot he oil pan), PB blaster or some kind of spray to loosen up rusty bolts, a good breaker bar, enough Prestone to seal a sunken battleship, Loctite (any particuarlar one you guys like?), and some Brake Kleen, etc.

Do you guys think that'd be enough? Is there anything I'm really missing? I've got a decent set of hand tools, a hydraulic jack (and a few borrowed jackstands, my four are going to hold the car up), some print outs, a T-5 service manual, and a Chilton's manual. This will be done in a garage too. I appreciate any help or insight you guys can give. :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I was gonna do a brake job in the coming weeks so I was going to do new brake fluid then. And I could do power steering then. And gear oil should be set for a while still.

My main concern is getting my oil leak taken care of, and while the trans was out, why not do new fluid so I don't make a mess?

Wow 7!!! That is a record. I think my all time best was 5 and man do i feel stupid seeing the same people. The best part is the shift change so atleast each shift only sees you twice-ish. Good luck with your project.

This weekend came and went, and all I have to show for it is a dissassembled interior, a 25th Annaversary emblem in the dash, a new fuel filter, and lots of dust.

Digging into the meat of the work today. Headed out into the garage to get the trans out. And once I get it out and get the rear main seal replaced, it's going back in so I can do my oil pan. I need to lift the motor from the bottom without having it fall all over the place and I'm thinking it's best to have the transmission attached to the bellhousing, right? Any tips guys?

They are a pain. Usually loc tited in there. Just keep on them. They will come loose. I put a 12 point boxed wrench on it letting it hang straight down. Ebrake on and in gear, then I just used foot/leg to get them loose. worked like a charm for me. food for thought.

3 weeks from my start date and she's on the road again. I've never done this before, never had to borrow so many tools in my life, and have never been more frustrated.

But now that she's down on her own four feet and running again, I feel so accomplished, I just have to keep wrenching. haha