Planning for new engine...looking for 800rwhp

mklovell

Jun 19, 1999
Fremont, Ohio
Ok here's the deal. I'm currently at around 500hp at the motor. Can't really go any further on the stock block and rotating assembly so I am looking the pull the current motor and upgrade.

My goal is 800rwhp. I will have about $10k to play with which will include shop labor at $65 an hour. I currently have a supercharger but was looking at maybe going turbo. Either way to achieve the goal I am looking for an keep it streetable will almost certainly have to be force fed.

I've been looking around at a couple of engine builders and see I can get a long block pretty much ready to roll except for induction and electronics. I was looking at the 400+ci engines but they are going for $9 to $10k alone.

So I'm looking for ideas and what would be a good way to go. I still have the stock 3650 tremec so I'm thinking I'll have to upgrade that as well and with a stick (I'm a stick kind of guy). If I have to replace the transmission as well it will take off the bottom dollar that I can spend on the engine.

Maybe $10k isn't enough? I can go on the cheap and look in junk yards for parts but I will incur cleanup and assembly fees going that route.

Maybe I should just upgrade the block I have? Will it handle that kind of horsepower? If so I could keep the P1SC as well.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

One of the easiest ways to hit 800hp is to use your block and add beefier rotating assembly, like a MMR Stroker 950 Street Mod kit to use with your stock block, rebuild your 3650 with carbon syncros and soforth.

Hellion is the most reputable way to turbo a Mustang, but you will need a K-Member like MM's Hellion spec one.

You might want to invest in a 31 spline diff and axles to make sure you do not snap one the first time you take it down the track.

I'm sure you know you're on borrowed time with circa 500 FWHP on a stock bottom end. :nono:

The block isn't that much of a limitation, so if it's been well taken care of, I'd consider just building the block you have. Instead, if it were me, I'd build a turbo setup pushing into a forged bottom end.

I wouldn't worry about the actual HP rating you get with this build. Sure, you want a good chunk more than you have now, but it's a street car, right? (as opposed to dyno queen or pure race car) Put together a combo that will allow future expansion...and turbo(s) are perfect for that goal.

The trannie is probably on borrowed time as well, but it really depends on how you treat it. Obviously the 6K RPM clutch side steps will limit its life. You can have that beefed up with hardened gears, a good quality clutch and gentle driving should yield a long life. The rear end is another concern too. And depending on your driving habits, you should survive with minimal dollars spent.

So, in the end, spend and drive wisely and your equipment will reward you.

Thanks guys, I will look into the stroker kit. If I go that way and rebuild what I have I'll need to find components that work well together. I'll also look into a tranny builder and maybe do a swap with a beefed up unit.

Sell the blower and call Pro-Line to build a turbo-ready longblock. D&D makes good upgraded trannys and the T56 is the choice model. Hellion is stupid expensive for no reason.