Plans for painting my car, what do you guys think??

Should I paint my car with my dad?

• Ehhhhh, I would rather wait a couple years and have someone else paint it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ive been wanting to paint my car for over 2 years now, and I think its about time I step up. Right now my car has little dents everywhere, my back bumper is cracked and one of my fenders has a big dent from a Dodge truck. At first I wanted to buy a gun, compressor , etc and spray it myself. Only thing is, college owns my BOA account and I want to buy a boat soon too. Heres the thing, my dad, is a yacht captain...and has painted a few boats before. He painted my little Boston Whaler and it looks great (but thats with a brush), and he does a good job sanding everything. Last fall he painted my sisters 1972 Fiat Spyder, shown below. It went from rusted, no paint beater, to a sweet little two seater sports car. He did all the sanding, patching and other body work himself and it really looks great. He had one of his buddys come over to the house and spray it was his gun but ourlittle 5hp compressor. The paint looks really good, except on one small portion of the trunk where the compressor ran out of air and had to cycle again (a little water got on the paint). I want to do the same thing with my car, but instead of spraying it at my house I would tow the car to my friends boat building factory (Island Runner Center Consoles) and spray it there, with a real compressor. Only thing is, my dad believes that fiberglass can be used to patch anything. The Fiat had a few holes, and he went under there and laid some fiberglass down, and bondoed over it. It looks great on the fiat, but how long will it last? This is only for small like pencil sized holes BTW. He also sanded the whole thing by hand and didnt use a clear coat (but the paint itself is really glossy and looks nice, I would be using a clear coat). Do you guys have any suggestions as far as paint, primer and clear coat goes? It will have urethane, fiberglass and metal surfaces. Think I should do this? Im kind of sketched out about it, but if it turns out anytinhg like my sisters car I would be happy.

fiat.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Your Dad is a smart man and I think you two should paint your car.
Here is a very good web site for everything you will ever need to paint your car.
Go to the forum section and you can learn everything. They even have a video on painting 101.

Just remember the prep is the most important thing. Plus your dad knows what he is doing fiberglass is really good for small holes and cracks.

Trust your dad.:nice:
http://www.autobodystore.com

Your Dad is a smart man and I think you two should paint your car.
Here is a very good web site for everything you will ever need to paint your car.
Go to the forum section and you can learn everything. They even have a video on painting 101.

Just remember the prep is the most important thing. Plus your dad knows what he is doing fiberglass is really good for small holes and cracks.

Trust your dad.:nice:
http://www.autobodystore.com

Been a member of that site since Jun 2006! I am a forum whore.