Plastic Vs Glass

brandon foster

Jan 30, 2016
Hey I gotta 93 vert and the glass in the back was smashed recently, if I bought another rear window will it zip right to the top or will I have to remove the old top zipper part? I know I'll have to install it on the bottom half but if I can reuse the top old zipper that'd be awesome. I think I was reading that a plastic one won't just zip right in but I'd prefer glass again anyway.

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly the zippers are a crap shoot. I'd be prepared to swap it. It's not as hard as you'd think.

With the top in the car, once the rear window is removed, remove the bolts that hold the top along the sides next to the window, then simply fold the top up to expose where it's stapeled in. If you have that tack strip you'll have to remove that too.

The 93 doesn't have a tack strip on the rear hoop above the rear window.

Get glass....the plastic windows are cheap looking and will get cloudy in a short amount of time.

The rear curtain is installed from the rear to the top frame over the back window. It's done this way so you can stretch the vinyl while installing. Its not an easy job to do correctly. The bottom of the curtain is stapled to a mounting strip that's held on by 1/2 nuts. They can be found by removing the top of the liner that lines the area behind the back seat. All of the 1/2 nuts all the way around that area have to be removed. There are spacers on the studs for shims. They should go back in the original positions. Once the nuts are removed the top can be gently folded back to expose the top of the rear curtain. It's also stapled to the top frame above the window. All the staples must be removed from the mounting strips. The old window curtain can be used as a template for the new curtain. Holes will need to be cut for the studs to pass through and the location of the rear mounting strip needs to be marked. I use 1/4 and 5/16 inch stainless steel staples.( they don't rust )

When the bottom of the window curtain is installed onto the mounting strip it has to be bolted to the car....then stretched up to the top frame You want it tight but not too tight. Staple the top of the curtain to the top frame. I use Gorilla tape over the vinyl stapled to this top strip ( to keep staples from possibly poking through the top over time } Now, you can unbolt the rear of the curtain and bolt up the sides of the top...then crawl in there and bolt the rear curtain in....reinstall the well liner and enjoy your new back glass.

Reactions: 1 user