Played with a 350Z

05Stangster

Mar 31, 2005
Austin, Texas
I'm impressed :D Out doing errands at lunch and took a short cut via rural road and ended up beside a 350Z. Rolling start, punched it, got an easy 3 car lengths on him and at about 80 - 90 mph shut her down. Guy in the 350Z pulls up, says nice car and that I was much faster than he thought the "New Mustang" was. I told him I liked his car as well and back to work. What a rush! :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

05Stangster said:
I'm impressed :D Out doing errands at lunch and took a short cut via rural road and ended up beside a 350Z. Rolling start, punched it, got an easy 3 car lengths on him and at about 80 - 90 mph shut her down. Guy in the 350Z pulls up, says nice car and that I was much faster than he thought the "New Mustang" was. I told him I liked his car as well and back to work. What a rush! :banana:

Nice kill. I was looking at the Z as a possible new car since I love the way they look. There are a ton of them around where I live and I can't wait to have some fun with them :D .

05Stangster said:
Shipped on 4/30! Right on! Can you smell the tires yet? Brake her in, then put your bud's Z in your dust. I'm sure he won't talk as much ZZZZ after that! Congrats!

I can smell the exhaust fumes, I'm so anxious right now. That train needs to hurry up and get here, any idea how long it usually takes? :bang:

Bet that 350Z would beat my v6 though, how come Ford cant get that type of "umph" out of a v6 like these what, 3.0L 350Z? or is it bigger?

The Z's engine, the VQ35 is a totally different breed of V6. I dont know too much aobut the ford's, but I heard it is a truck engine? The Z's is a 287/300hp monster, revs lightning quickly and sounds beautiful. The Z track and 35th annv have 300 hp, but the torque is lower (obviously) and cant compare to the 4.6l V8 in the GT stangs. While the Z is a sweet car, I think its just too expensive and more for the people who don't care about balls out performance and pinning you back in your seat (its still a quick car but has no space at all and the stang/evo/sti/srt-4 etc is faster... but twin turbo the Z and i bet thats one hot ride).

SubaruFlamingo said:
The Z's engine, the VQ35 is a totally different breed of V6. I dont know too much aobut the ford's, but I heard it is a truck engine? The Z's is a 287/300hp monster, revs lightning quickly and sounds beautiful. The Z track and 35th annv have 300 hp, but the torque is lower (obviously) and cant compare to the 4.6l V8 in the GT stangs. While the Z is a sweet car, I think its just too expensive and more for the people who don't care about balls out performance and pinning you back in your seat (its still a quick car but has no space at all and the stang/evo/sti/srt-4 etc is faster... but twin turbo the Z and i bet thats one hot ride).

The Stang can also take on a Supercharger/Turbo, which is more than you can do to the already Turbo Charged evo/sti/srt-4.

echo7 said:
Bet that 350Z would beat my v6 though, how come Ford cant get that type of "umph" out of a v6 like these what, 3.0L 350Z? or is it bigger?

echo7, Ford COULD get that "umph" out of a V6, but why? The Nissan 350Z is a $30K+ car that burns premium fuel only. If Ford offered a similar V6 in a Mustang, it would bump up the price of the V6 Mustang to $25-30K territory and make you buy premium gas all the time.

Ford markets the V6 Mustang to those who can't afford a V8 or are only buying a Mustang on its tradition/looks, and not for performance at the track. That's why the V6 Mustang is underpowered - that and to boost corporate miles per gallon. :D

I Love driving my Z almost as much as my Cobra. But, they are 2 totally different cars.

The latest Motor Trend has a 350z roadster matchup against the Mustang GT convertible. The Stang beats the Z in straight line but, through the twisties the Z creams the Stang.

Of course these are both stock in the magazine and you can always upgrade both cars.

But even though the z is a more pricey car, 300hp out of a 3.5L vs 210 out of fords 4.0L is kinda sad. Thats 85hp per liter compared to 52hp in the ford. Also, the old 97-99 sable/taurus 24valve 3.0L could put out 200hp, and thats a ford non-premuium gas non-expensive car???

Oh and i hear the new fusion will come with a 3.0L (i think) w/210 hp. I know the fusion will be a little heavier and alot less set up for speed, but still, thats alot of ponies compared to the v6 stang. Also whats with the 6 speed auto in these, fuel efficiency i guess?

echo7 said:
Oh and i hear the new fusion will come with a 3.0L (i think) w/210 hp. I know the fusion will be a little heavier and alot less set up for speed, but still, thats alot of ponies compared to the v6 stang. Also whats with the 6 speed auto in these, fuel efficiency i guess?

You mean the 5 speed 5R55S auto? A combination of things, fuel efficiency being one of them, closer-spaced gears for performance another compared to the old AODE.

You're still not seeing the engine equation from a Ford marketing standpoint. For the Taurus SHO and the Fusion, a V6 is the top-end, expensive optional engine. Therefore Ford is willing to invest more R&D and a more costly design to produce more power. In the Mustang, the V8 is the top-end, expensive optional engine. From Ford's standpoint, why would they invest more money into the V6 when they could invest the same money into making the V8 better?

The customers who buy a V6 Mustang by and large don't care if they're making 210 HP or 230 HP. They don't care if their 1/4 mile ET is in the 14s or the 15s. They want to buy A Mustang, for a variety of reasons, and they only want to spend so much money in doing so.

echo7 said:
But even though the z is a more pricey car, 300hp out of a 3.5L vs 210 out of fords 4.0L is kinda sad. Thats 85hp per liter compared to 52hp in the ford. Also, the old 97-99 sable/taurus 24valve 3.0L could put out 200hp, and thats a ford non-premuium gas non-expensive car???

You are trying to compare a 30k dollar car to a 20k dollar car (prices are rough). If the V6 Mustang cost 30k I am sure the engine would have more impressive numbers. If you are concerned so much about this difference in power why didn't you just buy a GT?