Please dont tell me my heatercore is gone!!

jstang209

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
Stockton 209
i was driving down the road this just heard all this hissing and steam starting comming out the windshield vents. i pulled over and all my water/coolant was pouring to the ground!!.. im pretty sure it was the core right?? but i just had my whole dash removed like 2 weeks ago and just finished putting it all back in :fuss: what causes the heater core to go bad?! i was just driving! :bang: :bang: o and yes there was a little water on the passenger side floor

• Sponsors (?)

usually it's one of the solder joints in the core that goes bad, or a plugged passage causing overpressurization...i've blown out three of them in the past, the second one looked like a balloon. then finally i discovered the combination of a parts store heater core and a flowkooler high volume pump do not a reliable heater core make....so i swapped to a normal water pump, my temps only went up 10*, and i'm still running with the same heater core i changed about two years ago with no issues

vikingpower said:
When mine goes I'm just gonna bypass it, I'd rather shiver all winter than have tear the dash apart, after swapping in a new clutch quadrant I dont ever wanna F with any of that crap again under the dash

ohhh c'mon guys they aren't that bad... :rlaugh:

First you have a rod or such knocking, now a heater core :doh:

If this is your first time you're gonna love it :banana:
Cancel your plans for your next 3-day weekend. :(

After doing it a few times you'll be able to do it in a day ... unfortunately I can do it in my sleep now. :nonono:

89CopCoupe said:
First you have a rod or such knocking, now a heater core :doh:

If this is your first time you're gonna love it :banana:
Cancel your plans for your next 3-day weekend. :(

After doing it a few times you'll be able to do it in a day ... unfortunately I can do it in my sleep now. :nonono:

Im the same as you I have done it so many times now I can have mine out in a hour or less.

just do it and get it over with. and change the evaporator while your at it. my car squeeked alot and so we fixed any cracks while we were at it. also polished up all the guage connections and what not. it will take awhile but best to go ahead and do it right and get it done.

yea taking out the dash the first time was a biotch.. but putting in back in was very simple.. there are sooooo many damn screws that arent really necessary.. after putting my dash back in, it took about 30 minutes.. i had over 1/2 of the screws left that were supposed to be used lol.. u dont really need em all heh