PLEASE HELP...BANG, PUFF OF SMOKE FROM ENGINE..car in front of starbucks

• Sponsors (?)

umm if its the plug on the left then you have more problems than plugs. what causes a plugs gap to collapse and that plug to shoot out of the cylinder?.........

1. 2v cylinder heads have very little threads for the plugs (4 threads :eek: :notnice: )
2. People torque the plugs improperly.
3. Some motorcraft plugs have less threads than others. The newer 2v's have the "updated plugs" which have more thread (I don't know any part numbers)
4. People put an ass load of antiseize on the plugs, when lubricates the threads to much, making it easier for the plugs to back out

When the plug backed out, his car had a major missfire which in turn made his plug look like a piece of ash.

as I'm thinking about his....even though for the most parts the threads on the plug are ok....that's really no sign that I don't have extensive damage to the threads on the head...that is unless the threads on the spark plugs are engineered to be softer than those on the head :shrug:

and what if i do have a small piece of metal from a thread that made it to the cylinder head.....will it fuse to the top of the head? or start ripping things up? rings? whatever?

Id be very conserned about WHY your plug gap is closed. Thats never a good sign. Take the plug back out and look at the top of your piston with a flash lighte and see how it looks. Also look at the threads some if you can.

guys.....very little i can see.....don't know the number it's on the Passenger side and counting back from the front it's the 3rd one (which probably has the worst access......

in between checking here I'm trying to get this new plug in there and I'm having some trouble......

is the plug gap being closed a sign of worse troubles??

I'm goin back out to see if i can get the plug in there

alright.............she started up right away so i took her around the block and she drove just fine.....

I guess the car's ok?!:shrug:

guess maybe I got lucky...only time will tell...

Haven't had the car for long and I've put alot of sweat hours and money into it already, I was really pissed when this wan't looking so good. thank you

The plug on the left is the one in question? I gathter since it wasn't tightend you were getting oil blow by and it is why it is so discolored. The collapsed gap is what I'd be worried about. Looks to me like something broke loose in that cylinder.

You can just try to restart and hope for the best...if there is any damage in there already it can't get much worse.

Edti: ...looks like you may be OK. Take it up for some 5 grand runs and see what happens.

I think the same forces that sometimes beat up the COPs when the plugs come out, can also close the gap on the spark plug...I don't believe that it has to be something 'physical' to close up the plug gap...

I think if you can hand tighten the threads, you are good. Because the plug only backed out a few, it wasn't completely loose/blown out. If any of the threads were stripped in the head, the plug would not be able to go all the way in, using just your fingers. I would buy new plugs, and torque them all to 13 lbs. DO NOT use loctite, or anything else on the threads. If you insist, put a very,very light coat of antiseize on the threads of the plug. Fire her up and see what chances. I think you caught her just in knick of time :)

I'm not trying to be smart, but why shouldn't one use Loctite?

I'm thinking the plug closed up at the electrode because of preignition. The plug would spark BEFORE the piston hit TDC if the plug was backed out of the head (which it was).

Did you torque every plug to 13lbs? Make sure you do it on a cold engine, or you can dick up the heads. I would just pay attention to the car for the next few days. Listen for ticking/detonation. If you hear anything, stop driving the car, and take it to a mechanic. I think you will be fine though. You caught it in the knick of time :)