Please help. bbk off road x pipe question

• Sponsors (?)

I don't believe so, unless you are using mid length or long tube headers. That is what I have seen to be the main reason for adding extensions. Be carefull using the off road pipe if your running a street car. It is against fed law to remove the cats all together on a emissions equiped care. In our state they will look if they suspect it. I run a BBK X-Pipe with cats and make as much power as I would with an off road pipe. Therefore, I avoid the hassles. Just a word of warning. Good luck on the upgrades.

stngmn96 said:
I don't believe so, unless you are using mid length or long tube headers. That is what I have seen to be the main reason for adding extensions. Be carefull using the off road pipe if your running a street car. It is against fed law to remove the cats all together on a emissions equiped care. In our state they will look if they suspect it. I run a BBK X-Pipe with cats and make as much power as I would with an off road pipe. Therefore, I avoid the hassles. Just a word of warning. Good luck on the upgrades.

Thanks for the warning. I stay in northern Cali and every other car has a loud exhaust. The cops are not trippin as long as you are insured and don't have dope in the car. Bustin me for no cats is just a waste of paperwork.

You know, Stngmn96, I would be thoroughly impressed if you could make as much power out of a catted X as you could an offroad X, but it's just not possible. There's something about the ceramic honeycomb that just slows that exhaust down, thus causing a power loss, I MUST be confused. That's just a rediculous statement. To answer the original question, the ONLY reason you would have to get O2 extenders is if you ordered the wrong pipe. The bungs are in different positions on the automatic pipe rather than the manual pipe (due to different transmission sizes), so, as long as you are shipped the correct pipe, you'll be fine.

02GT03SVT said:
You know, Stngmn96, I would be thoroughly impressed if you could make as much power out of a catted X as you could an offroad X, but it's just not possible. There's something about the ceramic honeycomb that just slows that exhaust down, thus causing a power loss, I MUST be confused. That's just a rediculous statement. To answer the original question, the ONLY reason you would have to get O2 extenders is if you ordered the wrong pipe. The bungs are in different positions on the automatic pipe rather than the manual pipe (due to different transmission sizes), so, as long as you are shipped the correct pipe, you'll be fine.

you might end up loosing only a few hp with aftermarket catted pipes, but nothing drastic

jadesville said:
you might end up loosing only a few hp with aftermarket catted pipes, but nothing drastic

A few HP would be most closely associated with 3hp at the wheels. Now, let's presume you are overly fortunate and make an entire 15hp at the wheels from your offroad X. 3 would be 20% of of 15. So, you would lose 20% of the gain from getting cats. But, most of us would make more like 8-10 at the wheels from our midpipes, thus making 3 HP between 30%-38% of a loss.
Now, to me, 20%-38% loss of a gain is rather substantial, especially when considering that getting an catted X is roughly twice the price for less performance.

02GT03SVT said:
A few HP would be most closely associated with 3hp at the wheels. Now, let's presume you are overly fortunate and make an entire 15hp at the wheels from your offroad X. 3 would be 20% of of 15. So, you would lose 20% of the gain from getting cats. But, most of us would make more like 8-10 at the wheels from our midpipes, thus making 3 HP between 30%-38% of a loss.
Now, to me, 20%-38% loss of a gain is rather substantial, especially when considering that getting an catted X is roughly twice the price for less performance.

well you do realize alot of people dont have choices, im just saying that theres a few hp difference between the two, its not drastic, no matter what getting a new set of pipes is going to increase performance, just not as good as off road pipes.

jadesville said:
well you do realize alot of people dont have choices, im just saying that theres a few hp difference between the two, its not drastic, no matter what getting a new set of pipes is going to increase performance, just not as good as off road pipes.
Hey Jadesvile, I see we live close to each other. Do you know any good performance shops out here. I have had my stang since june and this is my first mod.

brednova said:
Hey Jadesvile, I see we live close to each other. Do you know any good performance shops out here. I have had my stang since june and this is my first mod.

I dont know any good ones, wish I did..

I do most of my work myself :(

where you from?

brednova said:
Im originaly from oakland but living in Mountain View now. I used to have a 69 Nova SS I did work on. Im new to the new car performance.

oh ok, nice car :nice:

ill see if I can find some performance places for ya..

what do you plan on doing?