please help i want cams, i have searched

98MACH1R

I wanna put it in so bad, please help.
Jun 6, 2005
Hey ,

I am looking for cams right now and I need to know what you guys recommend. I have a 98GT with Full exhaust(LT/O/R mid,catback) cai, t/b and plenum, pi intake, 87mm MAF, mild port/ polish on the NPI heads, all with the stock block.

I have plans for a KB and built short block with boost in mind and maybe a small shot of juice.

I want the best NPI cam with out having to cut into the pistons, but i NICE lope that maintains somewhat drivability. If i need new springs thats fine. Im just looking for the most power for what i have. ( Im only looking for all motor now, so a n/a cam is prolly the best choise now). I know this is alot to ask , so i hope you guys can help.

• Sponsors (?)

Degree the cams in, you can fit the Comp 270's with some offset retainers and new springs. VT cams are out of the question as they have to much lift for stock NPI heads.

so 270's are a streetable cam? how much power are we looking at gaining from those? Also you are for sure i dont have to cut into the piston's to fit these cams?

Hey ,

I am looking for cams right now and I need to know what you guys recommend. I have a 98GT with Full exhaust(LT/O/R mid,catback) cai, t/b and plenum, pi intake, 87mm MAF, mild port/ polish on the NPI heads, all with the stock block.

I have plans for a KB and built short block with boost in mind and maybe a small shot of juice.

I want the best NPI cam with out having to cut into the pistons, but i NICE lope that maintains somewhat drivability. If i need new springs thats fine. Im just looking for the most power for what i have. ( Im only looking for all motor now, so a n/a cam is prolly the best choise now). I know this is alot to ask , so i hope you guys can help.

lope might sound good , but it doesnt build HP by itself , if you are planning on a KB , are you going to install PI heads then ? if so , why are you wasting money trying to find a cam that is best suited in a NPI head , PI cams in the NPI heads is probably my best recommendation , you wont get any lope , you wont need springs and it should give you a solid 10-20hp increase depending on the rest of the setup ....... cams are only cool when they lope if the car will actually get off its a$$ and move when you hit the gas , you only look dumb when you are sitting in something that hits like a bruce lee flick and you hit the gas and it just bogs down because you have something that wont build power under 4500 rpms .....thats what I think about big cams .....

I am absolutely positive you can run 270's in the NPI head with offset retainers and valve springs. You will need to degree the cams though, but that should be a no-brainer. The 270's will be a bit much for stock NPI heads, but I read that yours are ported, mildly but ported so they should work. If I had your car, I would seriously consider the Comp PI 262 or 270. FWIW, A friend of mine is running 12.16 @111 MPH with NPI heads and Comp 270's through an auto. His car has flat top pistons that do not have valve reliefs cut into them. You should see around 20 - 30 RWHP gain with the Comp ground cams.

I am absolutely positive you can run 270's in the NPI head with offset retainers and valve springs. You will need to degree the cams though, but that should be a no-brainer. The 270's will be a bit much for stock NPI heads, but I read that yours are ported, mildly but ported so they should work. If I had your car, I would seriously consider the Comp PI 262 or 270. FWIW, A friend of mine is running 12.16 @111 MPH with NPI heads and Comp 270's through an auto. His car has flat top pistons that do not have valve reliefs cut into them. You should see around 20 - 30 RWHP gain with the Comp ground cams.

do the 270's have problems with the idle? like it struggles to find the idle or will it idle out like normal with just a bigger lope? Thanks in advance:flag:

:shrug: but the cams will idle fine right?

If you do not tune the car, the car will have a hard time running while idling. Tuned it will run fine, but the tuner will need to spend time on the idle. When I go out to my parents to work on my TBird, I will take a video of what a very similar cam to the 270s sounds like idling. I have NPI heads and Crower Stg 2 PI SC cams in my car. Very similar to the Comp 270 but has more lift. You cannot run these cams in NPI heads without some modifications to the head.

Comp 270 Specs: 234/238 @ .050", 109/117 113 LSA .550" lift
Crower SC Specs: 234/234 @ .050", 110/118 114 LSA .581" lift