Please help me fit my cheater slicks

Trying to stuff 28 x 11.5 ET Streets into an '88 GT. Problem isn't up top, its the ground effects (particularly the rear) - I can't fit my fingers in the space seperating the tire from the rear g.e., so I doubt there will be sufficient clearance when the tire grows. I need some advice on what to do. I'm not opposed to significant body modification (of the car of course :D ), so please let me hear your best ideas.

I'll try to post a photo to give you a sense of the bind I'm in (pun totally intended). I'm having some technical difficulty at the moment.

• Sponsors (?)

Here are the pics

two views

Attachments

• ETstreets1.jpg
    ETstreets1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 124
  • ETstreets2.jpg
    ETstreets2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 98
sorry to say it man it looks like yo ubought to big of tire. if it was me i would sell those and go to a 26 inch or 27 inch tire because the fact that the tires will grow by the end of the track a inch and it dont look like you have a half inch. but maybe somebody with a gt with 28 x11.50 will ring in and tell us all how he got them to work

mustangrfast88 said:
sorry to say it man it looks like yo ubought to big of tire. if it was me i would sell those and go to a 26 inch or 27 inch tire because the fact that the tires will grow by the end of the track a inch and it dont look like you have a half inch. but maybe somebody with a gt with 28 x11.50 will ring in and tell us all how he got them to work
I suspect I'll need the bigger tires for the power I'm putting down. Besides, where there's a will, there's a way (and I have the "will" bigtime).

I'd try the 26 x 11.5's and gear it a notch below what you think you need. I run 3.55's and 26 x 9's and it holds a 390RWHP car pretty easily. The 28's killed my car to the tune of over 1/2 second, 12.4's with 28" vs 11.7's for the 26" tires. Plus the car looked damn goofy with the big gumball 28's under it.

FYI, the Capri ran well with the 26 x 11.5's and 3.55's on the turbo's. It didn't spin and went through the traps around 5,800 in fourth.

Jamie