Please help on compressor decision

Can you just move one of your singles to the other side so that you can free up two spaces together. That way you would have two spaces for your double breaker.

You probably already know this but be safe when working with electricity. Throw your main breaker before attaching or any breakers or wires.

The compressor you buy should have instructions on what size wire to run for the distance.

• Sponsors (?)

If your breakers are like mine (I think they're a GE style) it shouldn't be that hard. They just clip in. You just pull the inside of the breaker up and then pull the whole thing out. You shouldn't even have to unhook the wires.

Jester67 said:
I have the big brother to the sears one it is 33 gal and it is VERY VERY LOUD oh did I say it is LOUD if I had it to do over i would not have gotten it. It would be ok for some uses but not for working on the car. I am trying to sale it now for half of what i paided for it and it is less than a year old

Wow the 33 gal. is oilless? Mine isn't and yeah its loud but nothing compared to other compressors its size. I have the 33 6hp oil compressor I haven;t used DA sander, but I have used a sand blaster and it worked fine. I believe the blaster needed 7cfm at 90. I noticed the web only shows the 2 hp. I got mine in the store and chose the larger compressor. You need to buy one that produces the CFM you need to run your most used tool. If its close, like within 1-2 cfm the tank size helps. I prefer the craftsmen only because I inherited an old 220v compressor older then me that works great when I can plug he in.

Home Depot has one. I can't get the link to work so I erased it, but here are the specs

Internet/Catalog # 100083906
Brand HUSKY
Model # VT6314
Air Delivery 11.8/10.3 SCFM @40/90
Assembled Depth (In Inches) 27.5
Assembled Height (In Inches) 71
Assembled Weight (In LBS) 256
Assembled Width (In Inches) 30
Engine Horsepower 7 HP
Max Air Pressure Delivery 135 PSI
Motor Induction
Power Requirement 240 volt/15 amps
Regulator No
Tank Capacity 60 Gal.
Tank Pressure Gauge Yes
Type Air Compressor
UPC CODE 045564587314
Weight(Lbs.) 256 Lbs.
Wheels/Portability No
Working Pressure Gauge No

It is the same size as the larger on at lowes but 70 dollars cheaper and larger that the 45 gallon tank and cost only 10 dollars more. What do you think. I had a guy tell me since my dryer was only about 15 feet away, I could get some heavy duty electrical wire and wire in a plug that could plug into the dryer outlet. What do you think about that?

You could use the same plug as the one the dryer uses. You will need to upgrade the circuit breaker tho, unless you plan on running one and not the other and never at the same time. I'd still check to ensure the dryer uses a 15A CB and not much more.

the dryer will work but the extension cord will cost $$$ where is the breaker box located mine is in the garage and I just ran a new 220v outlet if the dryer shares a wall with the garage you could nock a hole on the wall a splice a new outlet into it for garage use.

When I lived in a rent house, I had my noisy Craftsman 60 gal. oiless up in the corner of my single car garage. It was sitting next to the door that went into the house, you walked past the washer and dryer which were on either side of you. Lickily, the dryer and compressor were ont he same side. I bought a new dryer cord, two outlets, two boxes and some 220v romex. I mounted one box on the wall in the house next to the door and put a outlet in it that was connected to the new dryer cord. The new cord plugged into the dryer outlet and the dryer plugged into my new outlet. On the other side of the wall I mounted the other box and outlet. I used some wire to go thru the wall to connect the two boxes back to back, so the inner box was connected to the new cord AND the romex going to the box in the garage. I ended up hard wiring the compressor to the box in the garage so I could use the outlet for my Lincoln stick welder and I didn't want to spend more money for another cord.

The plug inside was so I could unplug the dryer to make sure I didn't trip the breaker, if my wife saw the dryer was unplugged, she knew not to use it.

On hindsight, I wished I had used a plug on the compressor as there were a couple times I forgot to turn it off and it cycled at 2:30 am, I flew out of bed as it was only a 900 sf house, scared the crap out of me. Only time I ever tripped the breaker, I was welding in some C-notches on a mini truck frame and had left the compressor on, it cycled while I was welding. This wouldn't have been a big deal had the breaker box been in the garage, but it was in a closet in the house.

The drier is not on the same wall as the garage. I was going to snake a cord through the door into the house and just plug into the drier outlet. The drier has a 4 wire hookup, i know white abd black are hot and green is ground what is the red one? Will it hurt to run the compressor on a 30a when it just needs a 15a breaker

A 220v hookup has two 110v legs. You should be able to pull the cover on the dryer outlet and see how it's hooked up to confirm how your's needs to be hooked up. I asked an electrician, but that's been 9 years ago and I don't remember. The white is the neutral, black and red are the two 110v legs, but I don't remember which gets hooked to which side, or if it matters. Just talked to an electrical engineer, doesn't matter on the red and black.

Another Option....I have the Ingersol Rand Garage Mate Compressor. This is a cast iron, oiled unit. It is unbeliveably quiet. One of my neighbors walked by and asked what the noise was, I said my compressor...he didn't believe me at first because it was so quiet. The best thing about it, it is rated for continuous duty. That thing can run all day if need be. It has cooling fins on the compressor wheel and runs synthetic oil, so no worries of overheating. The only thing I have that works it out is a small blast cabinet, but since it doesn't blast your ear drums when running, it just plugs along while I'm blasting. It runs 110v, so no electrical woes either.

Just a thought. The only down side, you pay for the quiet performance, about $550 to your door. Your ears and neighbors will love you though!

1320stang said:
On hindsight, I wished I had used a plug on the compressor as there were a couple times I forgot to turn it off and it cycled at 2:30 am, I flew out of bed as it was only a 900 sf house, scared the crap out of me.

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: Been there done that. I was lucky as I only built my garage 2 years ago and I already had the compressor, so it was built into the plans. It has it's own 220 20amp breaker (it's an old 60 gal Black Max and needed 20amp). I put a 220 outlet in the wall and used a plug. I also used PVC tubing to run air around the garage with 3 air outlets, one at my work bench and one each end of the garage. I can switch the air to go through a water trap and regulator or just run straight through.:D