Please Help Quick

z9_87

Apr 16, 2004
Urbana, IL
I just put my engine back together after new heads. I had taken the distributor out and put it back in, market it and everything. Went to start the car and it turns over but doesn't start. I have fuel, compression and air. I also have spark. However the timing must be completly off. So i was gonna do the thing where you pull the #1 spark plug and bring piston to TDC and then put the dizzy at #1. Problem is I don't know exaclty how to do this. When I put the dizzy in it only can go to one spot due to how the cam gear and dizzy gear are. Please help me with this.

• Sponsors (?)

Pull the dizzy and the #1 plug out. Put a 15/16" socket on the crank bolt, put your finger over the #1 plug hole and turn the crank until your feel all of the pressure (compression stroke) come out. If you feel your finger being sucked in, you went too far. The timing marker should be lined up at ZERO on the balancer at this point, at least it should be. Once you have done that, you can put the distributor back in. Point the rotor to the #1 marker on the cap and you should be good to go. The dizzy gear and the cam gear are angled, so you will have to play with it a little bit. Here is a link to help you set the timing.

http://www.leemotorsports.com/stang22/timing2.htm

5.0 HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, counter clockwise looking at the dizzy. Hope this helps.

Tim

z9_87 said:
Also i read something about the distributor being 180* backwards. I dont know how on earth you could do this cause nothing would fit but... what should i do if this was the case?
Zach, glad to hear you are getting it put back together. I had not seen you post much of late, so I figured you were wrenching.

With the being 180* off stuff, said another way: when finding TDC on the compression stroke, one feels for air coming out the plug hole. The exhaust stroke will allow a little air out as well, and people feel this and think it is the compression stroke. That is where that comes from (the dizzy is stabbed in just as you always do, but on the wrong stroke).

Tim said the rest very well. If still stuck and it is late, Jrichker has a nice write up on finding TDC.

Good luck bud. :nice: