Please help w/ alternator install

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by 66 Tiger, Dec 24, 2003.

1. 66 Tiger

66 Tiger New Member

I purchased an 135 amp alternator from altstart & as promised it showed up yesterday. The only problem was there was no wiring instructions & the sales snake lied about not having to do any modifications to the car to install it. :mad: ( the bracket has to be filled down! ) Having known that, I would have attempted the job at my shop rather than the driveway. Anyway, my question is the wiring... I assume the two 8 ga wires go to the ring terminal. There is a d shaped molex that appears to just snap into place on the new alt. Does anyone know what I do with the wht/blk wire coming off the new alt? It looks like it just connects to the wht/blk coming off the d molex but I want to make sure before connecting it. Thanks....
  2. 5.0Droptop

5.0Droptop ...all those nights we shared, and you're a dude??

Hi, I have the alterstart 150 amp. If I were you I would run a heavy gage wire from the conection on the alt to the battery. Dont use the 2 blk orange wires..They actually connect to one wire about 12 inches lower. The white wire connects to the small wire thats in the plug with the 2 blk orange wires. Just cut the wire loose from the plug and connect it to the new white blk wire. I really would consider running a new wire from the lug on back of the alt to the battery or solenoid. The blk orange wires are not rated for the higher amp alts.

Sponsored Ad

3. 66 Tiger

66 Tiger New Member

Thanks.... I think I will change out the power wire to at least an 8 ga.
  4. Michael Yount

Michael Yount Advanced Member

Most of the kits/shops that sell these things recommend a 6 ga. or 4 ga. cable running from the charge terminal to the hot side of the starter switch, or the battery. You can/should hook up the existing wires also - but the extra wiring assures that if you pull real hard on the alternator with accessories that you won't have a problem with the stock harness being overwhelmed - smoke, sparks, fire, bad juju.
  5. 5.0Droptop

5.0Droptop ...all those nights we shared, and you're a dude??

The 2 stock wire go directly to the solinoid I would not use them. The articles I have read said just abandonthem and cap em off. :shrug: