Please Help With Coil Issue !!!!

ericp123

Jun 23, 2012
I have a 95 3.8 v6. Just replaced the head gasket and put new plugs, wires, and a coil on it. But (number 3 and 4) the last 2 to the driver side of the coil don't have any spark to them. I pulled the plug wire off each plug on the coil and they all have a nice big spark except the 2 (number 3 and 4). Its a new coil and the old coil done the same thing. Does anyone have a idea what it could be or run into this before? Thanks in advance for any help. Im stumped

• Sponsors (?)

Make sure the correct coil pack for the application has been used.

#3 and #4 share a coil circuit. Look at the primary low voltage side (wire color T/O). Look for bent/pushed/dirty pins. If not able to find anything, use a "noid" style test light to confirm a firing pulse.

If no pulse, the problem is in the wiring or PCM.

Do you have a Ford service manual and wiring diagrams? If interested in getting a copy for yourself I maybe able to help. PM if interested. Having this information would help you to get more familiar with it.

FWIIW, the wiring diagrams in the Haynes/Chilton are partial generic and not model year specific. Does you Haynes cover the wiring to the coil pack and show the low voltage circuit in question?

The Ford wiring diagrams covers the entire car and are specific to the model year in question. It's like the difference between having the Cliff notes and a full set of encyclopedia Britannica.

The service manual is equally complete. Covering all subsystems such as engine, transmission, brakes, ect. The PCM manual has a full set of pinpoint tests based upon symptom. In addition there detailed information on the HOW and WHY the PCM works.