Please learn from my stupidity...

BlownFiveLiter

have car, will race....wait, it doesn't run
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Chicagoland
Well guys/gals, I'm an idiot. I know I am, and I fully understand the consequences of my actions, including what could've happened, and what did. That being said, please spare me the lecture, I've already heard it from other people, and myself. Saturday night, I went to a pretty big party. Not a problem, I'm 25, I can drink if I choose, and everyone else was 21+ also. Apparently, I had WAY too much to drink, and because of it, had an unfortunate lapse in good judgement. That poor judgement resulted in me trying to drive, and ultimately, crashing a block away from the party, into some trees. The car (my DD, not the Mustang) will be fine, it's mostly cosmetic damage, other than the tie rods getting broken, and requiring a tow. Normally, I'd just fix it myself, but being so mad at myself for trying to drive in that condition, and crashing (no police came, luckily), I punched a solid wood cabinet, and broke my right hand. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't drink and drive! I shouldn't have, and I know it, but now I have to spend thousands of dollars which I don't have, to fix my car, and take a leave of absence from work because I can't perform my job duties with only one hand. So now, I get something like 60% of my income from disability, and will be struggling to pay my bills for the next 6 or so weeks until my hand heals. Please don't bash me, I know I f-ed up, I'm disgusted over it, and glad nothing more happened, but more glad no one was hurt. I just learned my lesson, but please use me as an example when you have a good time with your friends, and think you may be ok to drive. A cab is a lot cheaper than medical bills, body work, an attorney if you get caught, and worse, the suffering of your, or someone else's family if you hurt or kill someone.

• Sponsors (?)

StangGT1995 said:
Please don't bash me, I know I f-ed up, I'm disgusted over it, and glad nothing more happened, but more glad no one was hurt. I just learned my lesson, but please use me as an example when you have a good time with your friends, and think you may be ok to drive. A cab is a lot cheaper than medical bills, body work, an attorney if you get caught, and worse, the suffering of your, or someone else's family if you hurt or kill someone.

Yep!!!!

Thanks guys. I'm just thankful that all I hit were some trees. Now I have to figure out how to pay for a front bumper, fender, and hood on 60% of my already low income. All in all, I think I learned my lesson pretty cheaply. I just wish I would've been smarter, and had it never happen to begin with.

I'd say you learned your lesson VERY cheaply. I'd say first off your lucky no one was hurt, but on a second wave of luck, the police were not involved, which speaking on the dollar issue, would have ****ed you for life.

Hope you think about it first next time, and once again, a hard lesson learned, but just remember this was a lesson that didn't have to happen.

There won't be a next time. I'm so sickened over this, that I don't ever want alcohol again. Obviously I can't make sound decisions after drinking, so I need to avoid it entirely from now on.

Glad to hear the sincerity, man. Luckily, myself, it didn't take an accident for me to realize that i was doing something dumb...I just gave it up as a new years resolution, and haven't done it in 3 years

You got off easy. It could have been bad enough to totally destroy your life or kill you and someone else.

But DONT DONT DONT think for a minute that it is alright to get yourself into that condition as long as you are not driving. That's what I thought 2 years ago! Because I was not driving, I used that as an excuse to get totally intoxicated. I was taking some medicine that I thought was harmless and basically is but later found out it increased my tolerance level for alcohol. I kept drinking because I wasn't getting a good buzz. I ended up drinking enough that measuring (what I could renmember I drank) I was at around .30. People have pased out and died at this level.

I wasn't feeling to good around 12am and began throwing up which is something I never do. I got dehydrated, my magnesuim went too low and threw off my heart rythums. I ended up being rushed to the hospital after this weird feeling in my chest not going away 10 hours later. I had no energy and thought I was going to die.

Alcohol eats all your vitamins and minerals away. The doctor said I did not have a heart attack. He said if anyone gets their electrolytes and minerals down to a certain level, they go into something called "a-fib." This can damage the heart and never function properly again and kill you when you "convert" by sending a blood clot right to the brain. I was STUPID STUPID STUPID. I thank God every day there was no damage and I have NEVER and will NEVER do that again. I get mad at myself just typing this out. After reading this, Still, there will be some people that makes dumb decisions like me that have to take life to such an extreme b4 learning their lesson. :nonono:

Usually a-fib is caused by the dehydration, or a problem with your sinoatrial node in your heart. Anytime someone goes into a-fib/a-flutter, there is a very high risk of clotting, and possibly stroke. The lack of energy, btw was probably caused by low cardiac output from the combination of the a-fib, and the high heart rate associated with the atrial fibrillation (rapid ventricular response). I know this because I'm a patient care tech (CNA)/cardiac monitor tech. That is another good reason to give up drinking however, and I'm glad you mentioned it. My stupidity Sat. night is becoming a lesson in alcohol's possible negative effects on your body, as well. I would encourage everyone to take heed of the advice offered by Pokageek and myself. I just wish I didn't have to start this thread in order to take the advice myself.