Please recommend tuning device for me

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by jtfairlane, Dec 29, 2007.

1. jtfairlane

jtfairlane New Member

Hey everybody,

I'd like you to recommend the tuning route you think I should go with.

Before you just say "use x, or use y" please read what my goals and expectations are first.

Also, keep in mind that I am perfectly happy with the my motor combo right now, and have next to zero plans of changing/adding/or removing any parts any time soon. In other words, my current combo is the one I plan to keep for good.

My goals: I want to eliminate a part throttle pinging problem. The motor runs fairly well. It idles well, it pulls hard when floored, but the part throttle pinging has survived all other standard mechanical tuning procedures (timing, fuel pressure). The car has no trouble codes.

So, based on that, what do you think is my best route? I feel that if I could just tune for the hardware I currently have, that that could help me out quite a bit. Would having a chip burned be the best thing, considering I won't be making any parts changes? Or, would it still make sense to spend the kind of money and time on a twEECer or Anderson PMS? Thanks.

My combo:

Edelbrock Performer Intake
    70mm Throttle Body
    75mm PMAS Bullet MAF/24lb
    190lph fuel pump
    Ford Racing 24lb injectors
    Edelbrock Performer 5.0 heads
    Crane 2031 Cam
    Crane 1.7 cobra rockers
    MSD TFI Distributor
    MSD 6A
    Bassani equal length shorties
    Magnaflow Catted H
    Magnaflow Catback
    3.73:1 ring & pinion
  2. vristang

vristang Advanced Member

If the motor will never again be modified, then taking the car to a professional shop for a custom J3 chip is usually the most cost effective.

The other option is to use one of the following listed in order of price, cheap to expensive...
    1. Moates.net
    2. TwEECer
    3. PMS

These three are the most commonly used by Mustang owners, so you have the best chance of getting the support from other users which you will need.

jason
  3. strtrcr50

strtrcr50 New Member

I would recommend a Tweecer R/T due to it's datalogging abilities. However, if you really don't ever plan on changing anything, why not talk to someone who will burn you a custom chip?