PLS help me ID this mustang

• Sponsors (?)

lol, looks like a Joe Dirt car!!:lol:

In my opinion..I would'nt spend a dime on that car.

If you restore it then sell it for a profit I can see why your interested but if not you can put the money on a better looking stang.

Anyways good luck!!:nice:

I will completely agree with MustangJOE....now just sell that worthless POS to me please. Ill come pick up asap! im just trying to be nice and help you out.

Actually id do anything for that car in that condition. you're one lucky SOB! sweet Fing ride

89white50 said:
I will completely agree with MustangJOE....now just sell that worthless POS to me please. Ill come pick up asap! im just trying to be nice and help you out.

Actually id do anything for that car in that condition. you're one lucky SOB! sweet Fing ride

In that condition?..have you seen the wheel in place of the passanger seat?

Not to burst ur bubble but the car isnt that rare still plenty of them around, now if it was a ram air hipo cleveland you have a lil something there. It could be a nice original matching number car with a lil work...

I used to have a 72 grande and I put a 351c in place of the 302.
you hav a 351c at least not a windsor.
you can tell by the 8bolts like the fordman said , but the easiest way is this:
on the cleveland motors, the thermostat inlet point straight up.
on the windsor the thermostat inlet comes out at you at a 45 deg angle.

Woodrow said:
Not to burst ur bubble but the car isnt that rare still plenty of them around, now if it was a ram air hipo cleveland you have a lil something there. It could be a nice original matching number car with a lil work...
There was only 90 ever made. It's a Q car. This car is a genuine piece of history. I agree that basicly everything has gone to **** sitting, it's almost like you went into a store in 72' and bought the best of everything and parked it for 30 years. I do a have a biased opinion though :) .
We started it up. It's sounds real good :nice:
View attachment 465653
Ever seen a MSD box this old?
View attachment 465655
Roller rockers when they were exotic.
View attachment 465657

Yeah, 1971 351CJ, not extremely rare though. Hell, even the M-code 351CJ had more power. I kind of have a soft spot for them, my dad does, too. Waiting in a barn are the next project cars: a 1972 Q-Code convertible and one of Ford's 1971 429SCJ test cars. Can't wait :SNSign:

PBPaulie, what are the numbers stamped into that carb?
Woodrow, technically this car is a "ram air hipo"..hipo is subjective, and a few of them had ram air (not an expensive option). The engine itself came in a few thousand cars..when you break it down by transmission, diff and color, of course it's going to get rare.

RS200 said:
Yeah, 1971 351CJ, not extremely rare though. Hell, even the M-code 351CJ had more power. I kind of have a soft spot for them, my dad does, too. Waiting in a barn are the next project cars: a 1972 Q-Code convertible and one of Ford's 1971 429SCJ test cars. Can't wait :SNSign:

Woodrow, technically this car is a "ram air hipo"..hipo is subjective, and a few of them had ram air (not an expensive option). The engine itself came in a few thousand cars..when you break it down by transmission, diff and color, of course it's going to get rare.

ehh look again the pic I saw had an aftermarket hood with 4 pins in it :shrug: I can put that on a fox would it be rare then?

Guys it's a 72'. Look for a Q code coupe in 72'. There were only 90. The hood is stock. To me it doesn't matter that much I'm not buying it and pops isn't selling it. Technically it can't be worth that much. because 1, it's pretty much a spartan race car. no bumpers, mirrors, passenger seat, ect. We have all of them though. 2, it been repainted. The original carb is gone. It has a Eddy torker intake or something, I can't read it. 2inch longtubes, MSD, roller rockers, line lock, kill switch, blow proof bell housing, the original Sunpro tach. It's the old skool cool factor that has me smiling.
Imagine the torture of growing up around a race Mustang without ever being able to do ANYTHING with it and you'll understand...PB

RS200 said:

1971 429 Super Cobra Jet (thought it was 428?) My mom had one. Drag pack, louvers, the works. One of the coolest & meanest Mustangs ever made IMO.
How about pix of that :nice:

I wouldn't mind putting time and money into it but it's my Dads and he has neither. He wants to get it drivable and race it. A lot of things have changed since the last time it ran. He needs a roll cage, driveshaft loop, battery box, ect. All things he will never get done. He's 70.
He bought a boat about 7 years ago. 5 years went by and it never got wet! I ended buying it from him. 2 years ago he bought another boat, been in the water once. Now you can see why this Mustang is like it is.
He's a character but he's my dad gottah love him :D

_jb_ said:
But, what's a "Moon Tank"?

As in Dean Moon, founder of Moon Automotive and the ubiqitous Moon Eyes logo.

wally10 said:
you hav a 351c at least not a windsor.
you can tell by the 8bolts like the fordman said , but the easiest way is this:
on the cleveland motors, the thermostat inlet point straight up.
on the windsor the thermostat inlet comes out at you at a 45 deg angle.

A possible pitfall of that: Clevelands have 8 valve cover bolts, but so do 351Ms and 400s of the same engine family. Neither were ever a performance engine. Also regarding the T-stat housing, on a Cleveland it not only points straight up, but it also bolts directly to the block. With Windsors it bolts to the intake manifold.

If i had my '68 when I was building an engine instead of my old '89 GT, I would have done a 4V 351C or a pseudo-Boss 302.(I had to pass smog and neither would do that here). I saw some NOS, bare, never assembled Boss 302 heads at a swap meet for $1600 once. :eek: