plug leaking in gas tank

75 mustang II

Nov 22, 2005
Having trouble getting the plug to quit leaking in my 69s gas tank.Had the local gas tank shop check out the tank and they sprayed inside with a coating.After a couple hours with fuel it started leaking around the plug.They put a o-ring on the plug but the gas seemed to melt it. 75 mustangII

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure about a copper o-ring,didnt know they made them.It does thread in good and tightens up. They should make rubber o-rings that dont melt when gas hits them.Thanks for the reply cjones

Ethanol ?

Did you get some E80 or some other fuel with ethanol added. I think ethanol will melt standard O-rings. Holley carbs have O-rings on the needle and seat assembly, so if fuel was melting O-rings allot of us would be in trouble. Have you tried teflon tape on the plug.

the plug on my tank is a run of the mill tapered pipe plug... no place for an o ring.... are you sure you dont have a straight pipe plug? go to the hardware store and pick up a tapered plug. if thats not the problem, how about some teflon pipe dope... loctite makes it in a tube, good stuff!

Thanks for the replies.Chromedog The plug I have is plastic.Iwill try the hardware and put in a metal or brass plug.The plastic one is what I got with the car,Didnt like the idea of a plastic one anyway.