plug wire and boot spark arcing

Trying to sort out some issues on my engine..
New FRPP crate engine M6007 C347. Alum Z heads w/FPA headers.
I am getting all kinds of spark arcing on the valve covers and the headers.
Obviously this is causing the car to miss etc..
Brand new red Ford Racing plug wires that came with the crate engine.
Checked the wires and boots no visible burns or cracks..
This combo is an EXTREMELY tight fit in the 65 fastback...
The boots on some of the plugs touch some of the header bolts in a couple of spots
The car is scheduled to go in for a complete tune including dyno time next week and I need to resolve this problem before it goes in.
As a side note the car also seems to be set up very rich (carbed).
I am getting an occasional backfire thru the carb.
While checking the car for spark arcing the headers started glowing after running the car at idle to about 2000 RPM's for about 10 minutes.. Hopefully the tune will resolve this concern.
Any suggestions?
Scott

• Sponsors (?)

I thought that the reason headers get to hot and consequently glow orange or red was due to the unburnt fuel burning in the headers instead of the combustion chamber. This is caused by a rich condition...
I think that problem will be resolved when I go for the tune and dyno time.

I am concerned right now about resolving my spark arcing issues..:shrug:
Scott

The backfire out the carb is a sure indication of either a lean mixture or a sticking valve. Extremely lean mixtures burn slowly: that accounts for the glowing headers, since the mixture is still burning when the exhaust valve opens. A vacuum gauge will show a sweeping needle if you hold the RPM steady at 1200-1500 RPM when you have a sticking valve.

As to your leaking spark plug wires, the only solution is to replace them with something better. A larger diameter insulation would seem to be the answer. Do a Google search on taylor 10.4 spark plug wires and you will find someplace that you would like to do business with. You might also look for some fiberglass cloth spark plug boots. MM&FF magazine currently has an article about them.

See http://store.summitracing.com/defau...rch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp&x=36&y=6 for Summit Racing's offering on the Taylor 10.4 spark plug wires

Or

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...Id=10001&categoryId=30086&searchItemId=214469 for Jegs - check the P/N, they didn't say Ford specific.