Pokageek's Pain thread. 351 stroker (414c.i.) swap PROBLEMS.

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
Ok, I thought I would create a summary thread for all my troubles so that some of you may benefit from my PIA experience. Special thanks to Rick91GT, KC, Grady and Hissin..and mootang and many others of you!

#1 Latest issue = Professional Products Fuel rail is TRASH!!!!!!!!! I wasted $150 on it plus $150 in dam fittings to adapt it!! Even with liquid teflon, the rail is near IMPOSSIBLE to seal properly ESPECIALLY THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR!!!!!!!!!!:bang: :bang: I have tried MULTIPLE times with MULTIPLE O-rings and even if they don't get torn up with the oil on them, the rail does not seal. I am up to my @s s in gas right on the verge of starting the dam car but I cant unless I want a FIRE.:flame:

Question: has anyone else used the stock rails on the 351 based stroker motor? I intend to buy 3/8 inch fuel line to widen the rail and run it up the stock barbs. Anyone else do that?

#2 SWAY BAR HITS OIL PAN: Thanks to mootang, my (new - factory won't fit) sway bar is ON!!:nice: Thanks for the FREE spacers man!! I still had to re-pull theh engine and move the canton oil pan bolt but the spacers were the ONLY way to fit the new sway bar.

#3 SPARK ISSUE: Would yu believe my screamin demon coil .. like 1 yr old DIED during the swap!! I had to go buy a stocker and put it on and now I have spark! This blows my mind.

#4 STARTER WONT START: Turns out my neg battery cable was EATEN away on the INSIDE of the clamp!:jaw: I replaced the whole cable and clamp and Bolted it to the BLOCK in a SANDED area and it now (trys) to turn over (until gas started SPEWING everywhere).:puke: I cant believe such a small thing like a ground stops a car from starting..but it can.

• Sponsors (?)

I had some problems with my Mallory fuel rails leaking originally

I just used a crap-load of teflon tape on the threads (being careful not to get excess inside) and I got it to seal. So far, so good.

keith, i have some mallory fuel rails with a regulator i'm not using. let me know if you want them. you may still be on the road before me ... :bang:

re the pro products thing: i have a pro products sfi balancer and it is nice. i would not go out of my way to buy other pro products stuff, but the price was right for my intake (typhoon), so i jumped on it. i intend to go to something liks a victor 5.8 efi at some point.

Stock fuel rails? Check. :)
100_0625.JPG

I also had a ground problem with mine since my battery is in the trunk. I ended up running a ground straight from the battery to the starter.

Attachments

• 100_0625.JPG
    100_0625.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 95
keith, i have some mallory fuel rails with a regulator i'm not using. let me know if you want them. you may still be on the road before me ... :bang:

re the pro products thing: i have a pro products sfi balancer and it is nice. i would not go out of my way to buy other pro products stuff, but the price was right for my intake (typhoon), so i jumped on it. i intend to go to something liks a victor 5.8 efi at some point.

Thanks man. I think I am going to try stocker first though.. :nice: and yes, I have the PP upper too.

Low 5.0 thanks for the pic, lol. I feel better now!!! :) BTW, I had to turn the one "nipplet" on the stock rail, passenger side so it would not hit my intake but I guess that is ok...and where did you get yer hose? Was it hard to put on?

NEXT PROBLEM: The Crank pulley sticks out about 1/4" too far...do I have it reversed? andy ideas..:shrug:

The hose came with my intake. It wasn't hard to put on, but it does require a good bit of elbow grease. I think I stuck the rails in a vice to hold them steady, then the hose just slides on.

I had the same problem with my balancer. I left it alone and it shredded my first belt lol. Turns out I just didn't have it tightened down enough.

it turns out that my swaybar is hitting my oil pan too :bang:

when the car was up on a lift this morning to adjust the transmission range sensor, i saw some oil. upon further investigation, the pan has a small dent (on the bottom front drivers side) and i was like "wtf?"

then at lunchtime i went out and looked under the car and the swaybar is touching the oil pan, sort of like cradling it if you will. i guess it should go underneath it, but the motor sits too low so it is sort of sitting on the sway bar, if that makes sense.

:eek:

If that is the stock swaybar - you better check your oil pan!!! :eek: But at least you didn't hit a bolt! :rolleyes: The stocker was waaay to small for me but I have a little different pan than you.

FUEL LINES UPDATE: I bought fuel injection hose from salvo and it works great on the stock lines.

ENGINE ROTATING BUT NO START!! After getting spark, I went to start the car but it rotated sounding like a saw blade with no compression! :(

Turns out the valves are too tight and we had to readjus tall the rocker arms to get compression. Apparently my lifters are the type that float up quite a bit upon priming.

yes it is the stocker. :eek:

one of the (only) great things about my situation is that my engine builder actually works for my company during the day; he is literally in the cube right across from me.

so i grabbed him and we went out to look at it. he says it looks like the pan is not leaking yet; my pan is a canton which he says is very strong and he thinks it is not leaking at this point, but definately it needs to be addressed asap.

there is also some sort of a problem that is causing power steering fluid to overflow from the reservior. he thinks the oily stuff we are seeing may be that, which would be a good thing comparatively.

then there is also a spot where the boots on the steering rack are touching the edges of the k member, but i called aje and the guy at aje said that is normal and he has never seen it to be a problem, so i'm not going to worry about that yet.

a really nice guy from hardcore5.0 sent me some hpm 3/4" spacers and bolts that are used to lift the motor at the mounts. i am going to get them installed asap. but it looks like i will not be able to get my strut tower brace over the throttle body then, so i'll have to live without a stb or do something to address that ... geez it's always something ... :bang:

yes it is the stocker. :eek:

one of the (only) great things about my situation is that my engine builder actually works for my company during the day; he is literally in the cube right across from me.

so i grabbed him and we went out to look at it. he says it looks like the pan is not leaking yet; my pan is a canton which he says is very strong and he thinks it is not leaking at this point, but definately it needs to be addressed asap.

there is also some sort of a problem that is causing power steering fluid to overflow from the reservior. he thinks the oily stuff we are seeing may be that, which would be a good thing comparatively.

then there is also a spot where the boots on the steering rack are touching the edges of the k member, but i called aje and the guy at aje said that is normal and he has never seen it to be a problem, so i'm not going to worry about that yet.

a really nice guy from hardcore5.0 sent me some hpm 3/4" spacers and bolts that are used to lift the motor at the mounts. i am going to get them installed asap. but it looks like i will not be able to get my strut tower brace over the throttle body then, so i'll have to live without a stb or do something to address that ... geez it's always something ... :bang:

Lol, yes it is always something isn't it. :rolleyes: Will the engine hit your hood with the spacers? On the STB, I am going to cut and weld mine to fit. I thought about it and I doubt those pans would crack, they are tough indeed. My stocker sway bar was waay off.

Next "ISSUE": The hood hit the engine!!:eek: I can't LOWER the engine b/c it will hit my vert cross frame and I cant lower the cross frame cuz it'll hit the ground... So my solution was to CUT :eek: the bottom layer of the hood AND the side underlayer that is hitting my home depot special - intake tubing.

Result = Hood still very strong AND I can close the hood!! :nice:

Next Issue: NASTY exhaust leak where the dr side header meeds the h-pipe. Why? Cuz to fit my 414, the dr side header is angled in and the h-pipe dont seal well. So...I am taking it to my muffler shop tomorrow.

Oh AND the engine is running kid of choppy. I will need a tune..