Police interceptor GT

mustangford289

Founding Member
Sep 16, 2001
Florida
Here in Maine, the state police have a few Mustang GT's. I saw one up close in a parking lot today...the fender has an indentation for the police interceptor badge just below the GT badge. I asked the trooper if he knew what the police package was but he didnt know. Do you guys know what the police package consists of? Im guessing its just a suspension and brakes are beefed up...Does anyone know for sure? Can anyone order a police package GT?

• Sponsors (?)

Very seriously doubt you can order the police package. You'll have to get one when they auction it off when the PD is done with it. Seattle PD opted for Chargers last year, eventually will replace the entire Crown Vic fleet with them. Sneaky too........

Now the police are going with the dodge charger, thier hemie fast and have 4-doors. The mustang intercepters weren't used for hauling the bad guy's, just run them down. The patty wagon would come and cart them off to the joint. I saw some nice stangs go cheap at the police auctions in Florida during the early 90's, some under 500 bucks. High miles, but great bodies, they made great strip cars.

El Paso, Tx has a mix of 99-04 body style gts in silver and black and have recently added legend lime s197s, the only way to tell them apart is by the small El Paso Police decal on the doors. if anything like the crown vic they upgraded the alternator, battery, driveshaft, additional tranny cooler.

We have a police Mustang up here in Rochester, NY where it snows all the time. I think it's just a regular GT but there's been rumors that it's supercharged:

IMG_0031.sized.jpg

Usually Police packages (as far as crown vics go) are suspension upgrades such as heavy duty springs and better shocks, bigger brake upgrade, transmission coolers, sometimes oil coolers, better air intake. Also has fire foam in the trunk for rear impact collisions and have option of bullet resistant doors. Power is usually 250 hp when a civilian crown vic is like 239 but the weight increase doesn't make it much of a faster car, but they do handle better.
I doubt any mustang GT would come with all those upgrades. A regular GT would be sufficient plus backup would cover transport of a prisoner.

We have 2 undercover GTs here in Charleston. I know one of the cops who drives one. He's in the Mustang club here with that and his '70 Mach I. I swear Charleston is crawling with marked GT police cars. They have SN95s and some S197s. Ridiculous.

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

Charleston9003.jpg

th_MVI_2342.jpg

I know they have bigger brakes and some engine work done. Not sure what.

Attachments

• IMG_2319.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Charleston9003.jpg
    Charleston9003.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 205
  • th_MVI_2342.jpg
    th_MVI_2342.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 185
In Ohio, where they use sedans because it snows. An impala is about as sporty as a cop car around here comes.

You must be a little younger than me. The Ohio State Highway Patrol had some Fox body notches back in the day. Also, if you ever travel to Indiana, you'll see they have Camaros in use even now, undercover style with a single gumball on the dash.

Anyways, I am not aware of a Ford PI package for the S197s. Can anyone verify if these S197 cop cars are a true PI package like the Crown Vic or are they regular Mustangs that the police departments are buying and doing their own mods as they see fit?

We have 2 undercover GTs here in Charleston. I know one of the cops who drives one. He's in the Mustang club here with that and his '70 Mach I. I swear Charleston is crawling with marked GT police cars. They have SN95s and some S197s. Ridiculous.

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

Charleston9003.jpg

th_MVI_2342.jpg

I know they have bigger brakes and some engine work done. Not sure what.

They could really ruin somebody's day with that car. You wouldn't have a clue until those little blue lights behind the tint strip came on.

Imagine some poor ls1 guy trying to race it:rlaugh:

Attachments

• IMG_2319.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Charleston9003.jpg
    Charleston9003.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 216
  • th_MVI_2342.jpg
    th_MVI_2342.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 190
The GT's the troopers here in Maine run, as I said, actually have a "police interceptor" badge under the GT emblem. The fender has a factory indentation into which the emblem fits. They are all a blueish silver with blue stripes...My guess is that the state did not modify the fender and get custom made badges to fit in, Ford must have made them....And it snows here in Maine more than most anywhere, they just dont run them while its snowing...