Police say my exhaust is too loud.

jstang209

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
Stockton 209
Yesterday i got pulled over for my loud music, and got a ticket for it and he gave me fix-it's for my tinited windows, front license plate, and exhaust noise. He asked to look under my hood, but i didnt ask him for what so why would he want to look under the hood? I dont plan to change anything on my car. So i was just wanting to know on my court date will the judge have an officer go look at my car to see if i have taken care of these things or can i go in there and lie this is my first ticket btw.

Why would he say my exhasut is too loud? lol

• Sponsors (?)

If I understand correctly, your vehicle's exhaust system can only be a maximum of a certain number of decibals in volume. Anything over that magic number and it is considered illegal, just like not have licence plates or something.

Perhaps he was looking under your hood to see if you had done an engine swap or something. If you insurance papers say that you are driving a 2.3L Mustang and you swapped in a 5.0L or something then your insurance is void and there it is illegal to drive the car on public roads. Not to mention that 2.3 insurance is generally cheapers than insurance on a 5.0.

Police are stupid. I got pulled over on Saturday night for doing 14 km/h over the speed limit which translates to about 8 miles/h for you American folk. Considering I am part of what they call a 'Graduated Licensing Program' for younger drivers I am probably going to have my licence taken away for atleast a month or two because I have got two speeding tickets in two years. Kinda a weak way to lose your licence if you ask me.

do you have a tailpipe? It's way too loud without one. No cat hurts ya too.

don't rev the piss out of it if you're in the city etc... even if it is not that loud at low RPM that's not what they're hearing.

I HAVE gotten away from a loud exhaust ticket without any evidence... but if I were you I would get a receipt for something cause if they go out there to check up on ya that's not gonna make em happy.

man, what did you do to piss him off?
I have been driving around with a big exhaust leak for the better part of 3 months on an exhaust with no cats, and a almost strieght through muffler without problems.
I never heard about the 5.0 swap-illegal-insurance thing before. Maybe that is just a canada thing :shrug:
I did get ticketed for a headlight that was out though. That was really lame though. I came out from work and one of the lamps burnt out on the 5 mile drive home. Of course, I found the only cop in the entire state that would actually ticket me for it in those 5 miles.

I dont understand the police sumtimes,last wreck I had I ran off into a ravine,Tried to flag a hi-po and he drove right by didnt even wave. :nonono: My exhaust is just a new cat thats dumped and it is under the legal deicbel limit in my county,plus my insurance doesnt differenate between engines.

What is there not to understand about what this cop did? You broke the law (multiple times I may add) and he wrote you up for it...

Fix the problems and go to court...you can't "lie" either unless you want to be held for contempt...you need proof of all repairs.

Stinger said:
What is there not to understand about what this cop did? You broke the law (multiple times I may add) and he wrote you up for it....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Broke the law?.........please! Ya ever been to Stockton? Cow town! I'll lay ya odds, Krispy Kreme's was closed and the fed had nothin' better to do. Small town 'cops' and 'power trip' go together like 'stink on sh**'. It's possible jstang might have mouthed off and the cop retaliated (it's been known to happen) or maybe he just doesn't like hot rodders (also been known to happen). I wasn't there, I don't know the circumstances, but it seems to me, to pull him over for 'loud music' and then write fix-it tickets for so many trivial things......sounds to me like 'bored cop syndrome'!! :notnice:

Anyhow jstang, you need to get that stuff fixed, before you go to court. Scrape off the window tint, throw on some Kragen mufflers (for now) and bolt the license plate to the bumper. Then, whichever cop gave you the ticket (sheriff, CHP, SPD), go to their substation and they will sign it off. When you go to court on the loud music ticket, show the other signed off tickets to the judge and he will dismiss them. By all means, don't lie!! They will find you out! Good luck!

He probably gave me so much trouble becuse im black lol.. another wierd thing he told me was to go to court and lie, he said whats the point of going to court and confessing. So i was kinda wierded out by that but i just said ok. You think he is trying to set me up? and i think the cops were bored beucase i see two other cops pass us by and theres never cops in our neighborhood.

btw i was in my 2.3

Sounds like the cop was just being an ass. I worked in law enforcement for over 2 years and if a cop gives you a ticket for something as trivial as that you can be sure that he is a grade A number one ******* who gets his kicks out of pulling people over for the hell of it.

Don't try to tell me about small towns and small town cops...I've lived in a town of roughly 850 people all my life...I know how it goes.

Odds are he probably did mouth off...either way he WAS breaking the law (need a front tag, tint too dark, etc.) even if they aren't things that you aren't normally wrote up for...they ARE the law...DON'T lie in court...

In mo. they dont carry decibel meters... so on the exhaust being too loud you might be able to get out of that since the cop had no way of measuring how loud you are. And those fricking loud harleys are usually much worse than any car!!!!!!

However you will prolly have to remove or change the tint. Legal limit.
Loud music.... well lol keep a better eye out for cops lol.

when you have your subs and tweets turned up listining to your favorite dixie music. you have to be that much more carefull. Cops do get bored. and if you think small town cops are bad. try campus rent a cops or even worse yet. . . Military Police!!! Now they suck!!!

Polizie are cool though, they dont care, as long as you are not hindering traffic or causing wrecks. If you are on the german side then they care about vehicle mods, but not as much as in the states.

sounds to me the cop was just looking for problems. then he decided to see what kind of motor you got, just because it is a stang. I get cops thinking there hot **** and they follow me just because I drive some interesting car. Thats about the time I slow down to 15 under the speed limit (only for MP's).

TF

Its true that your insurance matters by what engine you have in your car. At least in Ny. Other wise they wouldn't ask for the info on your insurance forms. 4cy is way cheaper then v8.

You know how the cops are in your town, and you know what the laws are. Dont Bi**ch because you got caught with limo tints and no plate in front.
Its the law, you tried to push it and got caught.

IMO If you gave him a "why the hell are you pulling me over attitude" then i would have given you as many tickets as I could too.

PS: the cops here do carry decible meters. You can blame $500 honda civics with $3000 stereo systems for that. All you need is to have a shop inspect your exhust and write you a recipt for it.

LOL I got pulled over this morning for my system. I was going down the street by a High School and I was playing Rob Zombie on about 11 of 50 and the cop rolled up on me and pulled me over, well I turned down the music, then turned down the sub on an amp volume knob under my dash, then I turned the stereo off of loud. He told me that the music was too loud and I told him he was wrong. well he asked me to turn it up and I did, I was then at 35 before the subs began to hit and the music sounded like chit. He told me that the music was clear and was crisp sounding and did not match my system's sound. He apologized and said it must have been another car in the traffic he heard. I agreed and left the area and resumed play on my system. I turned the amp up and turned loud back on not remembering that it was not on 11 but on 35 now and almost went deaf. I love hidden tweaks on systems.