polished wheels

• Sponsors (?)

You will be kicking yourself when it comes time to clean them every other day :)

No seriosuly get a mothers power ball and some metal polish. I would remove each wheel to clean the inside as well. At least once a month and more if you drive in rain and dont drive in snow with them unless you are very anal about keeping them clean.

My buddies dad has some sweet polished boyds on his old stroked and nitrous feed Durango that where pitted BADLY after a year or so because he never polished them and it was worse inside the rim because he never cleaned in there.

It took my buddy and I about 4-5 hours each wheel to get them looking even descent.

But if you dont like to do alot of work, then get chrome.

I vote for chrome.... low maintenance and look great!

Keep in mind that either one will need to be taken care of especially when cleaning (no high pressure washers). But chrome can just be wiped clean with windex and a paper towel and look great.

shallowreef said:
Well what if he drives his car and deals with snow and cold tempatures? How does the chrome hold up against mother natures colder seasons?

I wouldnt drive with any wheels that I care about during the winter months. I was assuming the driver would still have his original wheels for winter if he needed to drive.

Ive havent driven with my chrome during the winter months yet.... dont plan on testing it out either :)

Here are some pros and cons for chrome vs. polished (anything):

Chrome Pros: Chrome is bling bling, easy to clean (wayyy easier than polished), and will look good even when they are dirty.

Chrome Cons:
After a couple years (sometimes earlier, sometimes never) they will start to peel. Meaning the chrome layer begins to flake off.

Aluminum Pros:
Looks bling bling after some serious elbow grease has been applied with good metal polish. They will never peel and can always be re-polished.

Aluminum Cons: They oxidize quickly which makes them look 'hazy'. They need to be constantly polished or they look like butt.

I'd roll with chrome if I were you. Especially on some 18 inch Saleens!!! :nice:

ok..thanks guys.. yes, im keeping my old wheels for winter too, and i guess it sounds like chrome is the way to go. i dont really have much time to keep them clean, maybe once a week, for a half hour. i am getting 18in saleens too, which i know look amazing on anything, sounds like ill be throwin up another 100 to get the chrome.

Cantslowdown said:
Chrome is not that bad to clean glass cleaner and ur done just dont want to miss any spots..I put some wax stuff on mine once a month..
you've had your wheels for what? 1 month!!! wait a year or 2 and when they start pitting/peeling/flaking and you cleaned them weekly and waxed/polished them and then see how you feel about chrome. I've had cheap sets and expensive sets and all had issues eventually.

wait.. im confused.. i have some beat a$$ wheels on my car that were there when i bought it and and they have badly pitted.. but they were never chrome or polished aluminum..silver i think.. what causes pitting and can the polished wheels "pit"?, because once that happens the wheels are trash.