Polishing Bullitt Fuel Door

madmatt

Ellis Juan sympathizer
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2002
Lexington, SC
Do you mean like permantly polished. If so, I believe you can buy a kit at like autozone or something. Some people have done some stuff, it just takes time. I think the Meguires stuff is just to clean aluminum up. But Im not really sure so dont take that to heart. Good luck, maybe someone else will chime in.

• Sponsors (?)

For some reason my original post was placed second.

I have a Bullitt fuel door already. It is brushed aluminum and I want to polish it.
I need to know the best way of polishing aluminum. I have the Brother's Aluminum Polish and sand paper from 600 grit to 12000 grit. Do I need to sand the door first or just start with the aluminum polish? Also, will it come out looking close to crome or just smooth aluminum?

The door will look like chrome. It's not Billet Aluminum is more like Die Cast Aluminum. If you look at the back of the fuel door you will see it looks like chrome. Thats because it's brushed on the front to simulate billet aluminum. I would highly recomend NOT polishing it. It will look like a cheap piece of chrome on the side of your car. I would suggest getting a REAL billet fuel door. Check UPR or Age Classic Design

joestang98 said:
The door will look like chrome. It's not Billet Aluminum is more like Die Cast Aluminum. If you look at the back of the fuel door you will see it looks like chrome. Thats because it's brushed on the front to simulate billet aluminum. I would highly recomend NOT polishing it. It will look like a cheap piece of chrome on the side of your car.

I agree. I thought about polishing mine as well, but kep thinking might look crop

I would sell your fuel door and use the money to buy a new chrome one if thats what you really want, if you mess it up trying to polish it youll have nothing, I believe the aluminum polish is just to make chrome look nice, to clean up chrome, Ive used it on exhaust tips before(differant brand though)

TheButcher said:
For some reason my original post was placed second.

I have a Bullitt fuel door already. It is brushed aluminum and I want to polish it.
I need to know the best way of polishing aluminum. I have the Brother's Aluminum Polish and sand paper from 600 grit to 12000 grit. Do I need to sand the door first or just start with the aluminum polish? Also, will it come out looking close to crome or just smooth aluminum?

leave it alone. it came brushed for a reason. if anything just keep it clean.

TheButcher said:
What kind of cleaner can I use on it then.

The whole reason I wanted to polish it was that it has some kind of stain on the bottom. It looks like it is from gas draining down but it will not come off.

Thanks for all the replies

have you tried everything? Gasoline shouldn't leave a mark like that on your metal.