Polishing Problems

I "redid" mine also, but I did NOT do the lower. I have to get on it to keep it nice.

Here is right before the install

365463PowerPlus5.jpg

365464PowerPlus6.jpg

I also started at 400 grit with this one.

RC

• Sponsors (?)

94GTLaserRC said:
I "redid" mine also, but I did NOT do the lower. I have to get on it to keep it nice.

Here is right before the install

365463PowerPlus5.jpg

365464PowerPlus6.jpg

I also started at 400 grit with this one.

RC

Before I bought mine, I did a search to see if anyone had re-polished theirs. I found a thread with those pictures on it from you and decided the intake (upper/lower) was well worth the $350.00. Cleaning up the upper only took about 2 hours and the lower took about 1 hour. I was suprised to see how good the lower came out of the box... considering all of the "horror" stories I heard about the polished Typhoon. Guess I got lucky....

Tim

Zach, I'm just trying to help out. :nice:

stang22 said:
Before I bought mine, I did a search to see if anyone had re-polished theirs. I found a thread with those pictures on it from you and decided the intake (upper/lower) was well worth the $350.00. Cleaning up the upper only took about 2 hours and the lower took about 1 hour. I was suprised to see how good the lower came out of the box... considering all of the "horror" stories I heard about the polished Typhoon. Guess I got lucky....

Tim. :nice:

They may have improved their polishing since there were some complaints, and also the price is higher now.

Yours looks really good though. I wish I had a prototype like you did when I got mine :(
RC

94GTLaserRC said:
They may have improved their polishing since there were some complaints, and also the price is higher now.

Yours looks really good though. I wish I had a prototype like you did when I got mine :(
RC

I know, I have seen some advertised for $450.00, then you add shipping. I think I paid $369.00 with shipping. The lower is hidden really well, so it does not have to be perfect unlike the upper, but I am very pleased with it. That is the first thing (upper) people look at when you open the hood, so naturally you want it to look the best. Thanks,

Tim

I have done alot of polishing on mostly motorcycle frames and accessories, and the best by far of any polish is something that we use in my shop called master gloss made by a company called master formula... u wont find it in any sears or pep boys its more of an industrial application.. if you go to www.metalgloss.com they have information and ordering... i personally have found that for polishing itself for the best finish it all has to be by hand... the sanding and prep work you could use any type of rotory tool for that... after you get the surface preped and are ready to start polishing you wanna do it all by hand.... with the metal gloss stuff you wont belive how easy it is to get that chrome looking shine.. and its pretty cheap like 14 for the polish and 14 for the sealer....its a 2 stage after u get the polish u hit it with the sealer to keep moisture from messing it up....check it out its well worth the $$$

Yep, the factory fuel rails come chromed already.

Zach believe it or not, I want as much black as possible to have some contrast. Plus, that would be one more thing that I would have to get Q-TIPS out to polish when they need to be re-polished. A friend sent me a pic of what they look liked polished and I liked the way they look, but didnt want to mess with one more thing I cant reach when it comes time to re-polish.

Tim

I painted my lower black as well. Just shot it with clear coat over the weekend. I wasn't about to polish that and it was real dirty. Also did the timing cover. Since I have all the parts laying around might as well make them a little better.

Has anyone else besides me tried the new mothers billet alum polish? I'm telling you my jaw DROPPED at the difference between the shine of regular mothers and the billet stuff... it was like I hadn't even started polishing the part until I hit it with the billet stuff. RC, you should give it a try on something. You have to rub it in a little longer than the regualr mothers stuff, but it makes it look like chrome.

My parts never got that chrome look either. How much pressure are you using with the White compound? Is there really a difference to be seen with the mothers? And is a higher speed more desirable for polishing or lower?

Some parts seem to polish better than others, I guess its softer aluminum?

Thanks!
-Dale

I allready have one off :( Washer fell down my intake runners without me knowing when I was removing my intake... Guess it stuck to the intake and when I lifted it off it fell it. Heard it when I started up the car then imediatly shut it off. I have taken it out and smoothed the head backdown... Hope theres no serious damage done but everything seems to be OK to put it back together once I get some gaskets. Think I'm running a little lean?
washer01.jpg

1105 said:
I allready have one off :( Washer fell down my intake runners without me knowing when I was removing my intake... Guess it stuck to the intake and when I lifted it off it fell it.

Per Joe, Per My Cousing Vinnie..

"You just learned the hard way that you just got F....d!!! :rlaugh: :lol:

Paul, I have a NICE wide upper plenum that is shiny, buy could be a little better. I may try that stuff, but I need to know where to get it. I will try Walmart when I go to work tomorrow.

THANKS

RC