Polishing Stainless Steel - NEED HELP!

Reed

Mar 31, 2005
BC, Canada
Okay, here's what happened. I just ordered some stainless steel headers today, but I think I ordered the wrong ones. Because I didn't do some research and some weird pictures were up, I bought headers with a natural stainless steel finish. Turns out that natural stainless steel is ugly as hell, as opposed to ceramic coated stainless steel which is nice and shiney.

Here are my questions. Should I:
a) Call back and try to buy the ceramic coated headers for an extra $100 or...
b) Try to polish the suckers when they come in?

Is there a good way to do this, because I looked up some methods and it doesn't look fun. I also have some chrome spray paint left over from another project, maybe that's a good route? I already checked the Shine Shop and nothing, plus I figure Dave will be by here. Let me know what you think, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

i would send them back for the ceramic there is nothing like the shiny coating. were the others ceramic or polished stainless? i would not suggest polishing or painting these brand new parts. if you decide to polish set aside a weekend to do so it is very time consuming and will tanish after you run them for a few min. . hope this helps

its impossible to polish them once they are welded together. When we build polished SS headers at work, we send out the individual pipes, flanges and collectors seperated to get polished then after they come back all nice and shiny theu get welded together, you can't get into all those nooks and crannies once they're togther to polish them, the best route for you would be jet hot coating.

DO NOT POLISH THEM.
Stainless steel is a P.I.T.A to polish.
They will 'tarnish' and probably faster then normal from the heat and cool cycling.
Also mostly likely your chrome paint will become useless the first time you start your car.
Basically if you want headers to look nice and stay looking nice ceramic coat them. Even real chrome headers flake and rust rather quickly.

pb_paulie_b said:
DO NOT POLISH THEM.
Stainless steel is a P.I.T.A to polish.
They will 'tarnish' and probably faster then normal from the heat and cool cycling.
Also mostly likely your chrome paint will become useless the first time you start your car.
Basically if you want headers to look nice and stay looking nice ceramic coat them. Even real chrome headers flake and rust rather quickly.

I even bought nice polished ceramic ones and they now remain a solid gray. They aren't chippng or anything but they're not shiny like when I bought them. Such a shame, they were beatiful :(

Alright, thanks for the responses guys. I called back and luckily it was early enough to cancel the original order, so I have ceramic coated headers on the way!

Dave, really sorry to hear that with your engine bay and all and especially now that mine are coming. No way to spruce 'em up? Does this usually happen; the ceramic just dulls?