Polishing Wheels!!!!!!!

91LX_5L

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
British Columbia
I polish my wheels but like a 2 weeks later they get dirt/**** stuck on them which doesnt come off with soap & water, its more like water stains which makes my wheels not as shiny.

What do you guys suggest to use? I use Mothers Aluminum Polish...whats the proper meathod of polishing your wheels? Also iv been told you can put a wax on them (forgot what its called) and it will keep them nice a lot longer. anyone know if it works/worth it?

thanks all

• Sponsors (?)

Thats the exact reason why I didnt get polished wheels for my car :p But I use that Mothers Aluminum & Mag Polish on things that I have polished with great success. I rub some on until you see a black film, then with a clean rag wipe it off. Repeat process until no more black film comes off of it.

thats the 3rd person that has said blue magic...is it expencive? like should i polish my wheels once with cheap mothers then polish another layer with that stuff? because I think my wheels need a pretty damn good polishing. IE THE RAG TURNS VERY BLACK....so I gotta do it till the rag doesnt turn black anymore or what? I think I might just take my wheels off my car, its such a pain doing it on my car.

Also anyone know anyone thats tried that zoop stuff? does it work as good as they say? easy to apply?

right now the best stuff on the market is made by mothers.When you use this stuff you have two options;dry or wet.When using dry and by hand work about an 3 to 6 inch pass rub the paste in till you see the bronze look appearing on the rag and the shine thats starting to come threw on the wheel.if possible warm the rims up to open the poars in the aluminum then pollish.As you see the shine come through that means the paste is starting to dry and the protective finish is applied.Take another rag clean soft I use baby diapers and take the rest of the black residue off,your rims should shine and resist spotting and stains from rain for a while.
Whats nice about mothers aluminum paste wax is you can use it wet start by washing the rim well then take a soft rag and dip it in the paste saoping wet apply right to rim and start rubbing,the rag and wheel will look black and crappy just keep rubbing you don't have to use a lot of pressure in either method.When the same thing starts to happen the shine is comming through you can now take your wash mit and rewash the wheel and then shammy the wheel dry when done.Try this I am sure you will be happy with the results! :nice:
p1000050_large_web_view.jpg

91LX_5L said:
white rouge? couldnt i just use aluminum polish and a buffer wheel on a drill?
You can, but the rouge is more powdery, and not so much pasty, if that makes sense. The pastiness of mothers causes a lot of caking on the buffing wheel. Now, if the wheels are really dull, then hand buff it with mothers or Denova, then buff it out with the white rouge. If the wheels are just a bit dull, then just buff it out with the rouge.
RC

thanks bud,ya I was just rumaging through and saw the thread so I put my .02 in.The pic of the notch is my friends car that i helped polish the wheels and showed him the right way to do it.I used rouge before not a bad alternative for power tool application.I don't recomend paste for power tools but a good liquid pollish like speedy works great.I forgot to tell you earlier to not do circular motion if possible go back and forth.When you start getting black on the rag don't stop there keep going until you see a bronze color that is the protectant starting to form and cover the wheel.here is a pic of the the hours of pollishing not to mention I have done this either full time or for fill in for twenty years.Keep in mind as stated earlier your wheels won't stay perfect for ever but after the initial pollish the routine maintenence will be easier like when your washing your car just take some paste and go around the wheel and then wash off your good as gold.I recomend using a seperate wash mit for wheels no matter what this way you don't transfer any stuff that normally would get on your paint in the first place.
new_engine_pics_006_large_web_view.jpg

I'm no expert in polishing to say the least, but I've spent the last two weeks polishing different things on my car and noticed some things. One, I'm polishing my PBR calipers. I started with 80, yes 80 grit, moved to 220, 320, 400, 600, 1500, 2000. I bought a variety of buffing wheels and a multi-speed craftsman drill. I also bought white rouge and some other buffing compounds from Lowes. These "stick" compounds SUCK IMO. They leave nothing but scratches in the finish. As soon as I through on mothers aluminum polish, I get a mirror like finish with nearly no visible scratches. But, no matter what I get black residue. I've polished and repolished these things and they are not getting any shinier, but at the same time more and more black stuff is coming off. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what it could be. I still plan to buy Zoop seal here in a few weeks. It looks like a pain to put on, but if it keeps the aluminum from oxidizing for a year or 2 I'll do it.

Paul,
I didnt see a mention of Tripoli..the reddish stuff. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT COMPOUND..when transferring from sanding to buffing.

This stuff has to be worked in the metal really well. When I put it on, it first looks black, then it turns a dark pewter-silver color...then you start seeing the shine. This needs a TIGHT wheel and A LOT of speed when applying (generate heat to open the pores)

Jose came by and watched me do my fuse box cover..it looked milky white. We did it with some tripoli and a high speed drill buffer. Looks like mirror now.

Just takes practice
RC

Joe, in your first post, are you refering to mother wax, or mothers aluminum polish? I worked on my calipers again this weekend and no matter how long I keep polishing with the mothers aluminum polish, I keep getting the black residue. If I use the "stick" stuff with my 6" wheel and electric drill, I get fine scratches. If I put another wheel on the drill and use mothers, I get rid of 99% of the scratches. If there something I'm missing?

RC- Lowes doesn't carry white rouge. I've been in there many times and they never have it. I have "green" and "black" sticks and they say they are for a high gloss finish, but they leave scratches.

:confused:

hi paul,I was refering to the mothers aluminum paste pollish that comes in a red and white can.My suguestion is to stay away from the rouge if you don't have a full understanding of it.It took me a couple of years to get the right method of using the stuff.

Paul, you will constantly get black residue on the rag this is what is supposed to happen no matter if the rim is brand new.I am going to pollish a piece of the car that isn't pollished and take pics before and after i'll be back..

I forgot to ask this is for aluminum not chrome right? :shrug: hehe