Poll: LSx Motor in a Mustang

LSx Motor in a Mustang

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am against it, if you want an lsx motor go get a gm. But if you must, please do it to a GT not a Cobra. I remember a guy swapping an ls1 in a mystic cobra, and it still makes me sick to my stomach to think about it.

• Sponsors (?)

Do what you wish!!! Its a great swap for the BMW's but with the choices of engines for a mustang I would just stick to whats a simpler swap IMO. Those LS engines are great though. Im not too fond of the LT1 just my .02. Good luck:nice:

Its weird that I think those RX's with the LS engines are cool, but I don't feel the same about a stang. I think te reason is if I saw you out with your car and we started talking and you told me it had an LS in it I'd be sick. I mean I'd want to hear what direction you took in building your ford V8, how it worked out, etc. It'd be a real let down to me at least being excited to hear about your setup only to hear that it had an LS in it. On the flip side I'd think it was cool as hell if it was an RX or a BMW with the LS. I don't know why I feel that way but I do.

Killercanary said:
On the flip side I'd think it was cool as hell if it was an RX or a BMW with the LS. I don't know why I feel that way but I do.

I know what you mean. I think it stems from the fact that you can't get a V-8 in a small BMW or at all in an RX7. Plus, those rotory motors are pretty high maintenance.

I think I'm starting to see the light from you guys. Dropping in an LS1 would be something to try on a v-6 or 4 cylinder mustang. But, since my car has all the wiring, etc. needed for the big inch windsor, I might as well just go that route. It would be more fun to build my own motor anyway. 100lbs and ~50hp probably isn't worth the headaches that may pop up.

Then again, Painless Wiring does sell LS2 harnesses now. :rlaugh:

Why not build something like a BB ford 557 stroker? The stroker kits and heads are pretty darn cheap all things concidered. You'll have way more HP per dollar than about any other method you would try.

I bet you'd have right around or slightly above $3K in the stroker kit and heads.

This thread got me thinking...I wonder how a 347 built to similar specs as the LS1(346ci) would compare to it? Throw on some 205cc heads at around 10-10.5:1 compression, similar cam specs, a high flowing intake, etc. I know it wouldn't really be fair because the Ford engine would be all aftermarket, but on paper it should have very similar specs to the LS1.

Low-5.0 said:
This thread got me thinking...I wonder how a 347 built to similar specs as the LS1(346ci) would compare to it? Throw on some 205cc heads at around 10-10.5:1 compression, similar cam specs, a high flowing intake, etc. I know it wouldn't really be fair because the Ford engine would be all aftermarket, but on paper it should have very similar specs to the LS1.

Well thats the thing. Im pretty sure if each engine has comparable parts, u'd get comparable power number out of it. But with Ford stuff, ya gotta go all out aftermarket where as the GM guys have great stuff to begin with. To me its all about money.

Low-5.0 said:

Low,

I think you could get LS1 peak power from a 347, but I doubt you could get the area under the curve that you can with the LS1, along with great driveability. The LS series motors have wonderfully designed heads. I still can't get over the fact that these motors have heads that flow sooo well, yet can still loaf along at 1500 rpm knocking down 27mpg on the highway. I guess raising the exhaust ports on Ford heads help flow a lot, but that makes custom headers almost mandatory.

Finally, from what I've read, the real thing holding back Ford fuel injected pushrod motors are the long runner intake manifolds. Great for torque, bad for hp. That's why my train of thought is leading me towards a converted carb lower intake with an elbow to mount the throttle body, like your friend has on his 427 (which makes plenty of torque no matter what intake is on it).

Have you guys ever compared dyno curves? Does he have a dart block or is he using a huge stroke in a stock block?

If we could get a machined aluminum block for under $2000, this idea of dropping in an LS2 would never have came into my head.

I see...So it's the head design itself that really helps the LSx, not just the size of the head...Still it would be interesting to see a 347vs.LS1 comparison to see if it would be possible to get similar power and driveablity from the 347. Throw a T56 behind the 347 and see what kind of gas mileage you could get. I bet it would be at least in the 22-25mpg range on the highway.

As far as I know, he's using Motorsport(I think) block. I know he didn't say it was a Dart. I still havn't had mine on the dyno, so I have no chart to compare to his. I *should* be taking it to Columbus for a dyno tune in a couple weeks. I'll be sure to post up my results as soon as I can.

Low-5.0 said:
I see...So it's the head design itself that really helps the LSx, not just the size of the head...Still it would be interesting to see a 347vs.LS1 comparison to see if it would be possible to get similar power and driveablity from the 347. Throw a T56 behind the 347 and see what kind of gas mileage you could get. I bet it would be at least in the 22-25mpg range on the highway.

As far as I know, he's using Motorsport(I think) block. I know he didn't say it was a Dart. I still havn't had mine on the dyno, so I have no chart to compare to his. I *should* be taking it to Columbus for a dyno tune in a couple weeks. I'll be sure to post up my results as soon as I can.

I definately think if u put the money into the ford motor you would be able to compare it. The gas mileage is the tranny in the GM cars...not the motors i dont think. Cause im pretty sure if anyone gets the t56 with the .5 6th gear u'll knock down great MPG too. What is the overdrive behind the ls motors?

I dont think the question is can u build a motor that can compete...its just that how much are you willing to spend in order to try. :lol:

the ls-7 only puts down 450 to the wheels. you could easliy surpass that with a 351 stroked to 427. matching the cubes and getting heads and cam and you'll be there in power levels. there is a guy on corral (windsornotchback) that makes 500rwhp with his 427 and still gets 20mpg.

Yeah, the LSx(and LT1) cars get the .50 6th gear. ;)

Nate, I know its not a question of can it be done. Im just curious how a SBF built as close to LSx specs as possible would compare to the LSx.

Has anybody built a 347 and used the stock(or stock-ish sized) 5.0L cam? That would be very close to an LS1 in terms of cam specs/engine size.

Low-5.0 said:

right from afr's website--alot of the ford numbers got cutoff, note the cam differences between the two(we all know how ls1's react to cams). the ford is also running on 114 octane due to 13:1 compression. imo, not even close.

574 HP
347ci
205cc AFR
n/a
990 CFM Demon
36° Timing
274/282° .625/.630 Hydrolic Roller
110 Lope Center

1 3/4
114 Octane
Funnel Web

Engine dyno tested by Ford Performance Solutions

LS1 Dyno Test
Baseline Engine: Stock LS-1 Longblock, LS-6 Intake Manifold, 1 3/4"
Headers-Long Tube Style, 3" Flowmaster Mufflers. *
VS
All Same As Above WithThe Exception Of: AFR LS-1 "205" CNC Heads, Fast
Intake Manifold, Cam-224/228 @.050 .581 Lift, 78mm Ported Throttle Body. *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFR LS-1 "205" CNC Heads 530HP@6500 and 475lbft@4900
VS
Stock Heads 428HP@5700 and 432lbft@4700

Well, I guess that kinda helps even tho it's really what I wanted to know. I guess I was wanting to know if it was possibly to build a Ford LS1, pretty much the same power, driveability, and gas mileage as the stock LS1. But, I guess that's kind of stupid because if you're building a 347 it'll be used to beat LS1's, not be an LS1. :) Then you get into modded LS1's, and it looks like it takes something pretty wild on the Ford side to keep up with relatively mild LSx's.

Am I reading that right where the stock LS1 made 428HP with just an intake and exhaust? :eek:

Low-5.0 said:
Am I reading that right where the stock LS1 made 428HP with just an intake and exhaust? :eek:

they are freakish motors. granted those numbers are most likely from an engine dyno with no accesories.

thunder racing sells a "cheatr" cam with a 117lsa/mild lift/mild duration, with headers, cai made 398 at the tires.

btw--the ls6 intake in the stock run is a stock intake on 01-up ls1's