Poly Mounts

ace940

Oct 16, 2011
hi all. i was wondering if buying poly mounts for my trans and engine would help alleviate my grinding into 3rd. i never used to grind third when i shifted fast when i first bought my stang but the more i drive it the worse it gets. im good at manual but idk what to do sometimes it grinds when im not even shifting fast. im not doing anything weird. could my syncros be going? i can hear them whine when i shift to third. any response is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Usually that's a clutch problem, or a blocker ring is worn. If it cracks, it will grind all the time. I don't think a Poly mount will help.

Kurt

well its a new clutch. i thougt maybe if the driveline encounters enough flex between power and shifting then it could cause the tranny to move a little bit. causing the shifter to move in relation to the body. what are blocker rings? thanks
if they are going bad would that mean i would need to do a full rebuild.

The blocker rings are internal to the transmission. They are part of the synchronizing mechanism. If you are pulling the transmission apart that far, you might as well just rebuild it. The entire rebuild kit is $250 on Jegs and Summit and updates the transmission to a World Class.

I would start with a clutch adjustment, and see if that fixes your problem. The clutch cable is flexible, so that wouldn't be effected by driveline movement. The shifter is bolted directly do the transmission, not the body, so that wouldn't be effected by driveline movement either.

Kurt

ok thanks. i might just wait untill something bad happens to the tranny. like loosing third. cuz i can buy a t5 at my local swap meets for like 100$ ish.