Poor gas milage

• Sponsors (?)

just did 231 miles on my '88 on its first tank of gas in my possesion..I coulda went more but it was starting to run differently, perhaps beacuse of the 'sediments' at the bottom of the tank? It dident hit the red E bar but it was getting low, so i went to fill it, perhaps i coulda went more since it only took 12 gallons..

MSM0075 said:
just did 231 miles on my '88 on its first tank of gas in my possesion..I coulda went more but it was starting to run differently, perhaps beacuse of the 'sediments' at the bottom of the tank? It dident hit the red E bar but it was getting low, so i went to fill it, perhaps i coulda went more since it only took 12 gallons..

Well you're already doin better than I am, I'm getting roughly 16 MPG city at the moment with the a4ld. Same year as yours. What I want to know is how these people are pullin 24+ MPG, that's like a nirvana of fuel consumption I can only dream of achieving.

Ok, you guys need to go get yourselves a voltmeter and learn how to run diagnostic codes on your 2.3's. I just had this issue where my SVO was gobbling fuel and driving like a turd. Probe the TPS and bingo, it's only at .83 volts. I set it to .97 and the problem is solved, no more pinging and I picked up about 5MPG. (so far)

A cheap led blinker box will scan the diagnostic codes that the EEC-IV spits out and will tell you what is wrong before you start buying random parts hoping that they will fix whatever problem you're having.

If you have a turbo car, you should ALWAYS be putting the highest octane in possible. The only way octane will effect fuel consumption is if the knock sensor is pulling timing. There is nothing wrong with Toluene as an octane booster, or Xylene for that matter. I don't know where that bad info came from. What do you think that crap booster in a bottle came from?!?!

A cheap led blinker box will scan the diagnostic codes that the EEC-IV spits out and will tell you what is wrong before you start buying random parts hoping that they will fix whatever problem you're having.

i'll second Bendutro on this one. a code scanner can be your best friend and if you will learn to love these things. its a great investment to help put you in the right direction before you just start throwing money at the car and hope the problems are resolved.

rigdigitty said:
i'll second Bendutro on this one. a code scanner can be your best friend and if you will learn to love these things. its a great investment to help put you in the right direction before you just start throwing money at the car and hope the problems are resolved.

Well, I have the OTC 4000E Code Scaner and i've used it on my '93 2.3L cause i was having real bad idles and it wasn't doing too good on gas...I diden't get any codes. makes me wonder if I did it right (I've tryed it like 30 times)..I havn't tryed the '88 yet, perhaps ill try that tomorow, along with installing a radio, and find out where my massive power stearing leak is...a bottle of Lucas PS Additive a day isn't too cool...