Popping my Cherry

• Sponsors (?)

my first run was a 10.1X the second and third went 10.5X and a 10.7X. got out of the car for about an hour let it cool down aired the tires down and launched at about 1500-2000 and ran a 9.6X was hooking like a different animal that way. got right back in line and ran a 9.4X

the last two runs i beat a turbo Z car and some sort of SUV, both were really close runs and lots of fun.

i had a blast alls i can say is WOOOOOO!

and

I NEED TIRES!!! AND MORE GO FAST GOODIES!!! :D:D:D:D:D

EDIT: first run was w/o girlfriend all other runs were with her.

it didnt feel like i could get traction dropping it at 3 grand. and mods are in sig. the 4.30's are too much for those street tires. after airing them down and launching a little above idle i saw a much better improvement. with some tires, and by myself i could probably get low 9s or maybe even an 8 second run. heck with more time in the seat i could see low 9s most likely.

reguardless i can not wait to do it again that was a blast, the last run i was hollaring and shaking my fist. wooo!

get some sticky tires (youll want SFCs first though) and then drive it like you stole it.
if you arent breaking stuff, you arent trying hard enough. Congrats though

oh, i met the previous owner at the track tonight. i asked him if it had a cam in it and he said "yes" but nothing followed :nonono:. also said my heads are stock, i had a feeling. i am wondering about changing my mind from TFS heads to a set of GT40 heads. probably when i get the money to drop on them it will be the TFS 170 heads i want. meh who knows what time will tell.

Get some tires...lol...That translates into high 14's in the 1/4 mile.....You should be in the low to high 13's i would think...with better driving.....:nice:

yeah no ****, looking at the conversion table... thats slower than i would have hoped. next time i am definately bringing a tire gauge so i can dial in my tire pressure. if i have some money maybe buy a better set of rear tires. i got a set of 92 dollar street tires back there now, don't even know what they are.

any advice on when to shift, or anything like that? i was trying to shift at around 5,200. i also saw people airing down the fronts, i didn't think that that could help am i wrong?

Practice, practice and more practice. Driving is a lost art round here-more mods don't necessarily make a faster car. I always used to shift my stock headed cars at 4,800 to 5, the power flat spots up there. With your 4.30's you prolly trap(in a 1/4 anyhow) well into 4th, the 3.73's will make you pick between the top of 3rd, and I mean way at the top of 3rd, or that last shift-which means a slight power loss right at the big end. Airing down your steers makes drag, not a good idea, you want em to roll. Nice lift bars would help your transfer- I only use time tested and bulletproof Southsides(which means torque box reinforcement), prolly a couple places make them now but I'll never have a different set. She runs good:nice:, just keep learning what it likes, and don't go thinking more parts will make you faster. Did I mention practice?

yeah next time i go there is going to be no passenger. right now im pretty much flat broke, just got the word that a few jobs i have been waiting on got given to a relative of the boss. :mad: so i got to start conserving maybe things will be looking better next month so i can get back down there.

yeah sorry to say you need practice driving, my car with Longtubes only, and very stiff, road race only suspension yielded an 8.9 at 80mph in a best of 4 runs, first was a 9.1, second was a 9.4 (missed 3rd, bull**** t5) then i tried leaving at about 4k and burned the tires off the rims but still got the 8.9, and the next run i missed third again but that run i had a lower 60' and a mph higher, so probably woulda been 8.8-8.7 but who knows, so again learn to drive it more and you should be cutting 8.5's

got it down to a 9.22 yesterday, rears at 18 psi, walking the clutch out at 1800 and once i got rolling i stomped it. still don't have SFC's installed. should be getting a new MAF meter from skythyn with in the next week or so. found a guy at the track selling a set of UD pulleys for $25. thinking im going to grab that up aswell. bigger maf, UD pulleys, and learning how to walk the car off the line i am desperately wanting an 8.99.

should i consider getting rid of my 17x9 cobra replicas for a set of stock 10 holes? everyone keeps telling me that the 17" wheel is killing me and that a 15" wheel has a lot more to offer in the tire department.

10 holes are too narrow to put any decent drag tire on there. Some guys will stuff a big tire on them and then have a bunch of sidewall bulge, but it's not ideal. Shop around craigslist and see if you can find a set of 15" welds or something for cheap.

Summits catalog came in yesterday, i have been looking at their tires for a 17" wheel thinking i am going to keep the wheels i have on it now. They look a lot better than 10 holes, but there is a part of me that really loves a set of polished 10 holes.

Clay did you get my email?