Popping noise from front of car??

gcomfx.com

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
Republic, MO
I thought it was from when I put the new rotors and pads on (and painted the calipurs) but now I think it could be suspension related even though it's usually when I'm hitting the brakes. :shrug:

Looking under the car doesn't show anything broke. The car handles fine and stops okay. Anyone have suggestions on what to check?

• Sponsors (?)

Bumps, turning.... it's weird. Most noticable when coming to a stop sign, but also when I go to pull into the garage. It even does it sometimes when I start the car, hold down on the brake then put it in drive. The flex of the car going into gear will make the noise.

What some signs of the tie rod ends? Should I be able to shake them? And where did you get replacements at and how hard were they to put on?

It sounds like it's in the front end more so then the center.... and it doesn't always do it when I put it in gear. But the noise is getting more prominent during my daily driving now. :bang:

But I guess i could test the tranny mounts by raising the car and trying it?

Keep the suggestions coming....

Okay... I'm now leaning towards the damn brakes again. The noise doesn't happen when driving UNLESS I have the brakes pressed during or right before. It's like the pads are sticking and then POP break loose.

My pedal is pretty mushy. (is that a word? :D ) The new rotors and brakes helped a lot, but now it's right back to a soft pedal just minus the "shutter" from warped rotors. :rolleyes:

Do you think painting the calipurs on the bottom side might be the reason they might be sticking and not releasing properly? I could grind down the brake pad channel a bit to make sure the pads move smoothly????

Kinda lost for what to do.... :bang:

Still haven't figured out what it is. Braces seem tight and I don't think it's the tranny as we just pulled it again and put it back in and the same noise is there just like it was.

Visually and shaking on the front wheels shows nothing. Any ideas on how to test the front suspension to see what it is? I know NOTHING about suspension.... :bang:

Kinda getting nervous as I don't want something stupid to wreck my car.

yeah same too, i had the exact problem, and they said tighten the k-brace, so i torqued teh hell out of it, even though it was tight. i took the car out for a ride after, bam the sound was gone. thats what this site is for, i would have never never thought of that.

Just wanted to say thanks to baglock1, VA302STANG and GreenMustangGt!

I was under the car and the short black brace that goes under the oil pan was one turn loose on the end by the starter. I tightened the hell out of it and bam... popping noise is gone!

Gotta love fixing a problem for FREE... :banana:

Thanks guys!!!

LMAO -- Old post is where I'm at too. Course, I needed pads, rotors, shox -n- struts .. and the 17's and CAI and duals.. but this wheel hub kit, hmmmm I wonder.. the wheel, when held a 3'o'clock and 9 o'clock and shaken right to left had play and a small clunk(weight off ) so I replaced and that clunk still isn't gone.. trying the post suggestion and will update till I kill it or it kills me, by gosh !! Thanks.. a little belated..jb

In order to check for play in wheel bearings, you grab the wheel at noon and 6-o'clock and try to move it. Any play = bad bearings. Grabbing it at 3- and 9-o'clock and trying to move it is only going to reveal any play in your steering rack/tie rods/steering shaft/etc. It's unlikely that your problem is there (unless you have tons of play even with the steering wheel locked). Good luck!