popping noise when backing to the right

03 GT is popping bad when backing to the right. i have checked everything underneath and found nothing. took it to two different mechanics and they also said everything looked ok. One found K member bolt kinda loose, but not bad (tightened and it still pops). today i decided to start replacing bushing. new sway bar bushings and sway bar links were installed this morning. i put the tires back on and did the 9 & 3 test and there was a lot of play, at least 1/2" or so side to side. it also moved the other front tire the same amount. doesnt matter which side tire i did the test too, the other tire moved in unison. the steering wheel is locked but also has a little play (about an inch side to side while trying to turn it). when i turn the locked steering wheel inside the car the wheels move the same as if i was doing the 9 & 3 test. the rack and pinion bolts and bushings are tight and not moving. the whole steering system just moves together while performing the test.
question is: what does this indicate? is the rack and pinion assembly bad? Why would it have so much play?
the 12 & 6 test was rock solid. also, if a inner tie rod was bad would it not just move on one side and not the other too?

• Sponsors (?)

Check the rack bushings to ensure they are not worn out. Is there a way to have someone else turn the wheels by hand while you hold on to each inner tie rod to see if you can identify any play, or witness the rack physically moving due to worn out rack bushings?

Have you done an alignment yet? If the car is out of alignment it will cause the tires to skip or "pop" when backing up with the wheel turned. Has your car been lowered significantly, did you do anything to compensate for the bump steer?

rack bushings are ok as well as the inner tie rods. i had an alignment about 2 weeks ago and the car has not been lowered. i took the inner tie rod boot off and it looks like the piece coming out of the rack is loose or has some play up and down.

Rack bushings are common as are inner tie rod ends. When doing the rack bushings you should shorten the stand offs by 1/8". This allows you to be able to tighten the bolt down on the bushing that much more. It's a known fix. I have seen cars with brand new rack bushings and still have the rack move side to side.

To determine what your problem is you need someone in the car turning the wheel back and forth to see what really going on.

ok, so i had someone turn the wheels back and forth while i ck'd things out underneath. it doesn't appear that the rack is loose. i did notice that the noise is more promenate when i apply the brakes when backing. if i back up to the right with no brake there is only a small creak/squeak. if i brake it makes the poppingclunking noise. perhaps it's time to really look at the brakes. i did decide to replace the pads but that didn't solve the popping/clunking noise.

Could be a missing caliper to pad clip. My Charger was missing one and it was noisy as frack over bumps... fixed it with a new metal caliper/brake pad clip.