Popping Noise when I turn the wheel

TAP4636

Nov 28, 2004
Chicago
Is anyone else having this issue? I've had my GT since Thanksgiving, and it's been getting worse. When I start making harder turns, you'll hear popping noises. I think someone months ago mentioned something about the strut bearings needing to be changed, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this fixed, or are still getting this.

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like I need to call a dealer to have this fixed then. It's really annoying, not to mention embarrassing when I have people ride with me asking, "What's that noise?"

I've begun to block it out, but when I pay attention it's quite loud now.

TAP4636 said:
Looks like I need to call a dealer to have this fixed then. It's really annoying, not to mention embarrassing when I have people ride with me asking, "What's that noise?"

I've begun to block it out, but when I pay attention it's quite loud now.

YES!! I have noticed this same noise, it's only noticable at low speeds with sharp turns, like when I back out of a parking space...What The F*&%!!!!
"FORD, IT'S RECALL TIME!!!!!"

almost all are popping

drjones633 said:
YES!! I have noticed this same noise, it's only noticable at low speeds with sharp turns, like when I back out of a parking space...What The F*&%!!!!
"FORD, IT'S RECALL TIME!!!!!"
almost everyone is popping,, the dealers arent sure what to do and ford has not put out a sb on it yet... so dont have them just play around with your car. ford is aware of the problem and they are working on a fix... if you leave it to the dealers they will just mess with it....

This is like the 30th thread on the "popping".......though most of them were lost in the data failure.

please use that nifty little search function next time before posting a new thread.

-Dan

I had them same noise. The dealership replaced the upper sturt bearings. But, now 2000miles later the noise is back. And guess what the problem is...the upper strut bearings are bad...AGAIN!!!!! :fuss:

Guess what the fix is...nothing. Ford told the dealership not to do any repairs to the car until they have a perment fix. :bang:

My car is slammed and I havent noticed the popping since doing the install either. I can only hear my springs breaking in but I'll try to listen more to any popping.

If lowering your car is a fix, everybody should be all for it.

-Dan

HarleySteve said:
Mine also made the "pop". It stopped the day I lowered the car. Identical springs as the Eibach setup, with a 1.5" drop. I have now got 2K miles on the new springs and the problem is still gone. :canada:

Your saying that simply dropping your car made this annoying popping noise go away? Please tell me about your spring set - the popping is driving me nuts and is only getting worse. Gotta do something - springs are on the must have list so I might as well go ahead and get 'em if it'll solve this popping crap. Then when Ford gets their act together I'll have 'em fix it.

Thanks.

Anyone have any idea what percentage of cars have this problem and if its been resolved on the assembly line? My car was built in Febuary and I have NONE of the common headaches like popping, stereo, and gas tank. Everything actually works fine on my car.

greenman said:
Your saying that simply dropping your car made this annoying popping noise go away? Please tell me about your spring set - the popping is driving me nuts and is only getting worse. Gotta do something - springs are on the must have list so I might as well go ahead and get 'em if it'll solve this popping crap. Then when Ford gets their act together I'll have 'em fix it.

Thanks.
I had the popping from day two owning the car. 5K later I dropped it 1.5" and the noise is gone, and has not returned. Must have something to do with the angles in the suspension. All I can tell you is it stopped popping. Springs were custom built for me because I wanted it lowered but also wanted to keep some "rake" which Eibach doesn't do. It is more of a flat lowering.

Well one thing is for sure. Once the car warms up and you drive it a little, it goes away. It only really happens when you first start the car and you start turning the wheels, like what someone said earlier....when you get out of a parking space.