popping out of second

goinbigger

Apr 11, 2005
Do your guys t-5's pop out of second all the time? Mine just does it when I downshift into 2nd. It just annoys the hell out of me. I still have the stock shifter in it, not sure if that may be the problem but it just doesn't feel like it wants to go fully into second. Trying to see if this is a normal problem you guys see.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Mine does this on occasion only during downshifting..it is a good indication that all is not perfect in respect to the internals of the tranny. A rebuild will be in the near future..how near I'm not sure..but a good indication that it's coming.

Yeah, mine does the same thing. Usally it's only at low rpm though, like when I'm trying to be quiet for the neighbors. Once it's all the way into 2nd however, it wont just pop out. If I take the time & adjust the clutch cable from time to time I can usally remedy the problem. Do you have an adjustable clutch cable/firewall adj? Give that a try... :nice:

I just rebuilt my t5 and i didnt mark the synchro hub/internal assy. :bang:
Anyways, it upshifts like a dream, but if i try to downshift to second it gets stuck, wont go in and i have to go "halfway" (get the slider gear to the 1st gear synchro rings but not the gear, then put it into second, but if i dont really man it in there, it pops out sometimes. its actually been getting easier and smoother as i drive it, (breaking everything in i imagine) but i imagine next time i rebuild it, which will probably be in the next 15k since its not 100%, ill probably need to buy a new synchro hub assy. ANYWAYS, when you do rebuild your tranny, if you do it yourself, or have someone else do it, your probably only looking at about 225$ in parts. I got all new synchro rings, all the small parts, shims washers/snap rings, and bearings for 160 on ebay from brenspeed, and bought a new second gear (ebay) from remanexpress for 57$. You may not need a new gear, but from the sounds of things you may, once you (or whoever) has it apart you will be able to tell.
Good luck.

DouglasOhio said:
I just rebuilt my t5 and i didnt mark the synchro hub/internal assy. :bang:
Anyways, it upshifts like a dream, but if i try to downshift to second it gets stuck, wont go in and i have to go "halfway" (get the slider gear to the 1st gear synchro rings but not the gear, then put it into second, but if i dont really man it in there, it pops out sometimes. its actually been getting easier and smoother as i drive it, (breaking everything in i imagine) but i imagine next time i rebuild it, which will probably be in the next 15k since its not 100%, ill probably need to buy a new synchro hub assy. ANYWAYS, when you do rebuild your tranny, if you do it yourself, or have someone else do it, your probably only looking at about 225$ in parts. I got all new synchro rings, all the small parts, shims washers/snap rings, and bearings for 160 on ebay from brenspeed, and bought a new second gear (ebay) from remanexpress for 57$. You may not need a new gear, but from the sounds of things you may, once you (or whoever) has it apart you will be able to tell.
Good luck.

good advice-but damn, i've beaten the tar out of both my original t5 (shelled out countershaft bearing) and my current one (10k on it now) and i've never encountered it popping out of any gear

It's has to do with either the blocking rings or the synchros.
Trans needs a rebuild, do it sooner or later, because trans problems are infectious and you will end up completely ruining the trans.

I had the same problem back a few years.

DouglasOhio said:
any idea why mine would do this right after i rebuilt it tho? ( i did it myself and like i said i didnt mark the 1-2 synchro hub assy. Its got all new blocking rings and all the synchros assys. looked good.

Did you inspect the gear and slider ring??

Rebuild kits only replace the blocker rings, but part of the synchro setup is the dog teeth on the gear and the slider rings.

The teeth are designed to interlock so they hold together under load. That means when you give it power, you wouldn't be able to pull the trans out of gear.

When the dog teeth wear down, they round over and lose the ability to interlock. Now when you give it power, it can force itself out of gear.

Popping out of 2nd usually means you need to replace 2nd gear and the 1-2 synchro slider.

Here's some pics of a 2nd gear popping and grinding culprit. You can see what i mean
View attachment 509404

Here's the damage to the synchro slider
View attachment 509406

And here's a healthy gearset. It's actually an '85 T-5 with 20K original miles :)
pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540672

Attachments

• pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540672
    pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540672
    111.9 KB · Views: 38