POR-15 vs Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator article

BlackGMC

Feb 6, 2007
Check this article out, it compares POR-15 to Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator. I can speak first hand for Eastwoods product. About 4-5 years ago, my brother-in-law moved back from Michigan and his 79 El Camino was starting to show signs of rust. I stripped and painted the car before he moved up there, roughly 4 years prior. Anyways when he go back the front frame rails were covered in surface rust and the fenders where rusting as well. So me and my father stripped the componets with a DA the best we could and shot Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator on it, then shot some primer on top of that. To this day the rust and not bubbled, grown or broken threw the primer. You can't even tell it was there. This car also sits outside int he Texas sun and rain 24/7/365. I will be using Eastwoods product rather than POR-15 on my mustang. Anyways here is the article.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=852&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=688&iSubCat=852

I would like to hear about peoples personal experiences with either product and how it is holding up.

• Sponsors (?)

I've used POR-15 rust stuff on the trunk of my 62 T-bird about 3-4 years ago and nothing has come back so far. I've also used their high temp header paint. I used it on a set of 351w manifolds and the brake drums on my 62 T-bird. So far, everything is holding up very nice on the drums and look great behind my cragar ss wheels. manifolds can't say anything about cause the engine is unfired still (and probably will stay that way for a long time). Very happy with the products from POR-15.

I have been using Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator on my Stang and I love it. I buy the gallons and just use a brush. It levels out nice and looks really good. I used it in the trunk and the floorpans. Right now I am using it on the undercarriage/floorpans and plan to use it on a lot more sections. I always topcoat it with something. The interior floor pans and trunk I put Lizardskin on top and on the undercarriage I am using truck bed liner to stop it from chipping away. I have posted pictures before but I can take some new ones if anyone would like to see the undercarriage after I finish up (today or tomorrow).

I have been using Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator on my Stang and I love it. I buy the gallons and just use a brush. It levels out nice and looks really good. I used it in the trunk and the floorpans. Right now I am using it on the undercarriage/floorpans and plan to use it on a lot more sections. I always topcoat it with something. The interior floor pans and trunk I put Lizardskin on top and on the undercarriage I am using truck bed liner to stop it from chipping away. I have posted pictures before but I can take some new ones if anyone would like to see the undercarriage after I finish up (today or tomorrow).

Pics would be great! So you topcoat after you put down teh Encapulator? Do you have to put a top coat immediately afterwards or can you wait awhile?

I've never used either product. Just wanted to point out that this article is being hosted on Eastwood's server. I'm always a little sceptical when I see articles as I never know if the source is biased....having the article hosted by Eastwood sets off alarm bells as to it's validity.

I've never used either product. Just wanted to point out that this article is being hosted on Eastwood's server. I'm always a little sceptical when I see articles as I never know if the source is biased....having the article hosted by Eastwood sets off alarm bells as to it's validity.

the article was supposedly done by Auto Restorer magazine. I thought the exact same thing. I personally have used por15 with nothing but good results

I started to post the same thing, until I saw where the article came from. Auto Restorers magazine is an AWESOME mag. There are NO advertisements, so they aren't hawking the latest trinket some manufacturer put out and gave to the mag for free to get a favorable article out of them. The subscription may seem high, but that's the price of publishing it. I got them for a couple years and financial constraints forced me to cancel the sub, a year or so ago they did a '67 Mustang restoration. I need to get the subscription renewed as it gave many tips and tricks to fixing some of these old cars, maybe not putting R&Ps on, but there are some thing you want to fix the original way anyway. They'd do stuff like showing how to lead and stuff. When I got it it was all black & white and a bi-monthly mag, sorta like when I first got CarToons magazines back in the early 80's.

http://www.autorestorermagazine.com/

All I know is I had some parts painted with POR15 and I had to sandblast them a second time and the sandblaster took a while to get through the POR15 (it normally shreds through rust, paint, bondo, undercoat - whatever). That stuff is tough!